Do I still have a chance at a C+ / better?

• Thread starter Edin_Dzeko
  • Start date
In summary, the student got a 61/100 on their first Chemistry test and decided not to show up for the second test because they didn't know the material and thought it was a waste of time. They are now concerned about their chances of passing the class and have received advice to either drop the class or try to get a better grade on the remaining tests and final. Their current average is a 70%, but they need at least a 97 on each remaining test to pass. Some people have suggested studying harder and trying to get lucky points on the exams, while others have said it's unlikely they will pass based on their previous behavior.
Edin_Dzeko
I got a 61 / 100 on my first Chem test. There are 4 test and a final. I didn't bother showing up for the second test I just didn't want to go in there and waste time. I didn't know squat so I decided not to show up. That's a 0. I don't think the prof allows a make up without a doctor's note.

So

Test 1: 61/100
Test 2: 0/100
Test 3:
Test 4:

What do you think my chances are? Can I still pass the class?

Physics news on Phys.org
Are you asking for people to abuse you? Perhaps you came to right place.

Stephen Tashi said:
Are you asking for people to abuse you? Perhaps you came to right place.

abuse? why and how?

If a C is 70%, then you need a total score of 280 on 4 tests. Less the 61 you already got, that means on the last two tests and the final (assuming each is weighted equally, which they probably aren't) you need a total of 289, or about 97 on each test. That means you need to learn everything you should have learned when you were wasting time, plus all the new stuff. If I were you, I'd drop the class. Those sorts of scores would be difficult for a good student to get.

You should drop the class in my opinion.
If you decided not to show up because you didn't know any of it and thought it was a waste of time, it seems like you just didn't put forth any effort in it as far as I can tell.

Given you didn't show up to an exam for reasons other than things out of your control (Family death, health problems, etc).

Drop the class.

Get a fake doctor's note?

Drop the class unless you can somehow convince the professor to give you a better grade.

What do you think my chances are? Can I still pass the class?

Is the class curved? Anyways, you really need to work harder. You shouldn't just 'not show up' to tests and hope to get a C+ in the course. It's disgraceful.

Dude it's okay, here is what happpened with me

Midterm 1: 20%

Midterm 2: 97.3%

Average so far? 70% Yay...now I just got to wait for the finals to bring my grades down even further

You'd be surprised what you can pull out of your *ss on some exams, even if you don't actually know all that much. Especially if the class is an intro-level course, go get a problem set, take 20 minutes, and learn one concept or one type of problem really well. If you pick a concept or problem that the professor seems to like, odds are it or something like it will show up on the exam. Bam, 10 points. Got an hour before the exam? Repeat and hope you guess right.

It's certainly no way to learn the material, but if you're in over your head and just trying to survive with a passing grade, giving up and eating a 0 is a really weak option (unless you spent that time studying feverishly for something else that needed work). It's interesting that you thought spending an hour or two scraping the bottom of the barrel for lucky points would be a waste of time, yet you still seem to care whether you pass the class or not.

flyingpig said:
Dude it's okay, here is what happpened with me

Midterm 1: 20%

Midterm 2: 97.3%

Average so far? 70% Yay...now I just got to wait for the finals to bring my grades down even further

Haha, I was hoping for the same thing in my discrete class.

Midterm 1: 47%

Midterm 2: 49%

Didn't happen. Although the average was 53, so I'm not that far off. :redface:

To the OP...if you wouldn't have completely skipped that second exam, this wouldn't be as hard. I'm sure if you tried on the other two you could at least pull a C. Do you even have an option to drop at this point?

1) Is it theoretically possible to pass? I think yes. a good showing on the final is usually enough to pass.
2) are YOU going to pass? highly unlikely. You have exhibited behavior that is extremely inconsistent with that of someone who will pass. Indeed at some schools skipping a test without permissions would be sufficient grounds for the instructor to remove you from the roll. You might check whether you are still in the class. I would guess it certainly disqualifies you from getting any slack of any kind.

1. Can I improve my grade from a C+ to a higher grade?

Yes, it is possible to improve your grade from a C+ to a higher grade. However, it will depend on your current grade, the weight of remaining assignments, and your overall performance in the class.

2. How can I increase my chances of getting a C+ or better?

To increase your chances of getting a C+ or better, you can focus on improving your understanding of the material, seeking help from your instructor or peers, and putting in extra effort on assignments and exams.

3. Is it too late to improve my grade to a C+ or better?

It may not be too late to improve your grade to a C+ or better, but it will depend on the policies of your school and the deadlines for submitting assignments and taking exams. It is best to talk to your instructor for a more accurate answer.

4. Can I still get a C+ or better if I missed some assignments or exams?

It may still be possible to get a C+ or better if you missed some assignments or exams, but it will depend on the weight of those missed tasks and your overall performance in the class. Again, it is best to discuss this with your instructor.

5. What steps can I take to ensure I get a C+ or better?

To ensure you get a C+ or better, you can communicate with your instructor, stay organized, seek help when needed, and consistently put in effort on assignments and exams. It is also important to understand the grading criteria and expectations for the class.