Do Molarities in Chemical Solutions Refer to the Buffer Volume or Total Volume?

  • Thread starter Thread starter tribaggili
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Chemical
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
tribaggili
Messages
5
Reaction score
1
Hello,

I quote from a paper: "...a solution of CuSO4 (1 mM) and NaAsc (2 mM) in 10 mM Tris buffer with 20% DMSO".

Does the molarities refer to the 80% volume of the Tris buffer or of the total volume (80% v Tris + 20% v DMSO)? For example, if I want to make 100 mL solution, I have to add 80 mL of 10 mM Tris buffer, or 80 mL of 12.5 mM Tris buffer (which is 10 mM in 100 mL).

Thanks!
Andrea
 
Chemistry news on Phys.org
No idea. I would give concentrations in regard to the total volume, but I agree it can be confusing.

Why don't you try to contact paper authors?