1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Volume of Tris Needed to Prepare Buffer Solution

1. Apr 4, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Calculate the theoretical volumes of 1.0 M Tris base, 1.0 N HCL or 0.2 NaOH, and water needed to prepare 50 ml of a 0.1 M Tris buffer pH 9.0. pKa of Tris: 8.21

2. Relevant equations
    Henderson-Hasselbalch: pH=pKa + log[A-]/[HA]

3. The attempt at a solution
    Honestly, I don't even know how to start.

I know how to calculate moles of each, ratio of [Tris]/[Tris+] (I got 6.16 by 10^(9-8.21)), etc, but I don't what I actually need to use for the calculation... Help?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 4, 2012 #2

Borek

Staff: Mentor

First of all - how much TRIS do you need to prepare 50 mL of 0.1 M solution?

Then you need to add strong acid (or strong base) to convert part of the TRIS to conjugate acid (or base) - this is a simple stoichiometry.

Finally you need to fill up to 50 mL.

4. Apr 4, 2012 #3
    I would need .005 mols, (0.1M Tris)x(0.05L)=.005. But then how do I go back to ml from here? And where does the 1.0M Tris base come in, since that is the solution I am diluting to get the 0.1M solution?

EDIT: I think I figured it out. Would it be (1.0M Tris)(X L)=(0.1M Tris)(.05L), so I would need 5mL of 1.0M Tris?

I still don't understand the HCl and NaOH part though; what do you mean by simple stoichiometry?

Last edited: Apr 4, 2012
  5. Apr 4, 2012 #4

Borek

Yes, it is just an application of molar concentration definition (##C = \frac n V##) and mass conservation (amount of substance doesn't change during dilution).

First things first - for buffer solution you need a pair of conjugate acid and base. Is TRIS a base, or an acid? How can you prepare other substance from the pair?

6. Apr 4, 2012 #5
    It's a base. So I would use the 1.0 N HCl to generate the acid, Tris+?

7. Apr 4, 2012 #6

Borek

TRISH+ to be exact, but yes, you are no the right track.

Assume protonation reaction went to completion - that's where the stoichiometry comes into play.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook