Do partial derivatives commute in general?

In summary, the conversation discusses the commutativity of partial derivatives and its relation to covariant derivatives. It is pointed out that for independent variables, the partial derivatives commute, but this is not the case when the variables are linked in some way. The example of a curve on a sphere is used to demonstrate this. The notation for partial derivatives is also clarified. There is a question about whether this non-commutativity implies a quantum aspect in general relativity, but the connection is not clear. The conversation concludes by stating that the partial derivative is not equal to the covariant derivative and that the chain rule is applied incorrectly in one of the earlier statements.
jk22
Suppose we have to deal with the question : $$\frac{\partial}{\partial x}\frac{\partial}{\partial y}=?\frac{\partial}{\partial y}\frac{\partial}{\partial x}$$

This seems true for independent variables. But if at the end x and y are linked in some way like $$x=f(t),y=g(t)$$ this is no more the case, since : $$\frac{\partial}{\partial x}\frac{\partial}{\partial y}=\frac{d}{\dot{f}dt}\frac{d}{\dot{g}dt}=\frac{d^2}{\dot{f}\dot{g}dt^2}-\frac{\ddot{g}d}{\dot{f}\dot{g}^2 dt}\neq\frac{\partial}{\partial y}\frac{\partial}{\partial x}=\frac{d}{\dot{g}dt}\frac{d}{\dot{f}dt}=\frac{d^2}{\dot{f}\dot{g}dt^2}-\frac{\ddot{f}d}{\dot{g}\dot{f}^2 dt}$$.

Is this equal to the covariant derivative ?

For example can we then say that if we consider a curve on a sphere that those partial derivatives do not commute in general ?

Likes kent davidge
Physics news on Phys.org
I'm confused about your notation. In your particular example, I'd say that

[tex]
\frac{\partial}{\partial x} = \frac{\partial t}{\partial x}\frac{d}{dt}, \ \ \ \ \ \ \frac{\partial}{\partial y} = \frac{\partial t}{\partial y}\frac{d}{dt}
[/tex]

With this you can apply the commutator

[tex]
[\frac{\partial}{\partial x}, \frac{\partial}{\partial y}]
[/tex]

on a function ##f(t)##. If I do this, I find

[tex]
[\frac{\partial}{\partial x}, \frac{\partial}{\partial y}]f \neq 0
[/tex]

in general. So

I'm not sure what this has to do with covariant derivatives; the commutativity of partial derivatives involves independent variables and differentiable functions.

(edit: silly mistake concerning chain rule and variables; corrected it)

Last edited:
haushofer said:
I'm confused about your notation.
[tex]
\frac{\partial}{\partial x} = \frac{dx}{dt}\frac{d}{dt} = \dot{x} \frac{d}{dt} , \ \ \ \ \ \ \frac{\partial}{\partial y} = \frac{dy}{dt}\frac{d}{dt} = \dot{y} \frac{d}{dt}
[/tex]

Is it not that ##\frac{\partial}{\partial x}=\frac{\partial}{dt}\frac{dt}{\partial x}## but this has indeed no sens formally.

Anyway, if it does not commute on a curve parametrized by ##t## like on a geodesic, does this mean that all the general relativistic framework should be written in terms of non commutative derivatives ? This would mean that this typical quantum aspect were involved in gr ?

Yes, you're right, this doesn't make sense what I wrote in post #3, I was totally sloppy there; I applied the chain rule wrongly. But I'm not sure about your question. Non-commutativity is not automatically linked to quantum mechanics, so I don't see the connection there.

In general, it is not true that
[tex]\frac{\partial}{\partial x}=\frac{d}{\dot{f}\, dt};[/tex]
What is true is that
[tex]\frac{d}{dt}=\dot{f}\frac{\partial}{\partial x}+\dot{g}\frac{\partial}{\partial y}.[/tex]

Likes jk22

1. What are partial derivatives?

Partial derivatives are a type of derivative used in multivariable calculus to calculate the rate of change of a function with respect to one of its variables while holding all other variables constant.

2. What does it mean for partial derivatives to commute?

When partial derivatives commute, it means that the order in which the partial derivatives are taken does not affect the final result. In other words, taking the partial derivative with respect to one variable first and then with respect to another variable will give the same result as taking the partial derivative with respect to the second variable first and then with respect to the first variable.

3. Do partial derivatives always commute?

No, partial derivatives do not always commute. In general, partial derivatives will only commute if the function is continuously differentiable, meaning that all of its partial derivatives exist and are continuous.

4. Why is it important to know if partial derivatives commute?

Knowing if partial derivatives commute is important because it allows us to simplify calculations and make them more efficient. If partial derivatives commute, we can choose the order in which we take them based on which is easier to calculate, without affecting the final result.

5. How can I determine if partial derivatives commute for a specific function?

To determine if partial derivatives commute for a specific function, you can use the Schwarz's theorem, also known as the Clairaut's theorem. This theorem states that if the second partial derivatives of a function are continuous in a region, then the partial derivatives will commute in that region. Therefore, to determine if partial derivatives commute, you need to check if the second partial derivatives are continuous in the given region.