Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Do protons and neutrons have a wavefunctions?

1. Jul 3, 2008 #1
    This might be a silly question, but do protons and neutrons have a wave function that they can be described by?
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 3, 2008 #2
    Yes they do, but I don't think people ever worry about actually writing them out in nuclear physics. Protons have a wavefunction comprised of a spatial part and a spin part (and also an isospin part if you treat them as indistinguishable). For some reason nuclear physicists also assume that the neutrons and protons are bound in a more or less Coulomb potential, so that they can use the shell model to describe the nucleus. But when I took nuclear physics, we only used the nuclear wave functions at an abstract level to determine if nucleons were in a singlet or triplet state, spin-orbit coupling perturbations, etc.
  4. Jul 5, 2008 #3
    In fact, every object in the universe has a wavefunction, I think.
  5. Jul 5, 2008 #4
    Yes, every kind of particle has a wave function.

When we are doing atomic physics we can ignore the quantum properties of the nucleus and treat the nucleus as a stationary classical collection of particles, the reason for this is that the electron is over 1000 times less massive then the nucleons, and so it behaves more quantum mechanically.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?