Do these substances emit formaldehyde gas when heated?

In summary, the conversation discusses the potential release of formaldehyde gas from two substances, cyclomethicone and glyoxylic acid, when subjected to heat from a hair straightener or hairdryer. It is mentioned that cyclomethicone is commonly used in hair products and would not be used if it emitted formaldehyde, while glyoxylic acid is known to have an unpleasant odor and can cause irritation. The person who asked the question may have had a reaction to these substances and is seeking clarification on their potential for releasing formaldehyde. It is also noted that a quick internet search can provide more information on these compounds.
lk0306
Hey there,

Trying to confirm whether or not these substances emit formaldehyde gas when subject to heat of hair straightener and hairdryers. Both were ingredients in a keratin treatment i used at home and i had a crazy reaction (irritated skin, eyes, hair, nose and lungs) in the process of heating in the application process.

- Cyclomethicone
- Glyoxylic acid

Last edited by a moderator:
Chemistry news on Phys.org
Cyclomethicone - looking at the formula I'd say it was somewhat unlikely. It is in widespread use in hair products, deodorants, skin care products (and some other products as well) and it would not be used in hair products if a hairdrier caused it to release formaldehyde.

Glyoxylic acid is reported as having an obnoxious odour, and it can be an eye, skin and respiratory irritant - it is a weak acid, so that is to be expected.

Why did you mention formaldehyde anyway? Smell?

Given that there would likely be only small amounts of these in any hair treatment, why did you ask about this pair in particular?

I got the info within seconds using google, incidentally. It was easy to find.

And the above is just my opinion. I am not an expert on these compounds, just a normal chemist.

Likes DrClaude
I agree with DrJohn.

It is possible you have allergies. The compounds appear thermostable so it's unlikely to be formaldehyde unless your heat gun belongs to Area 51.

1. What common household products emit formaldehyde gas when heated?

Common household products that can emit formaldehyde when heated include certain pressed-wood products such as particleboard and plywood, laminate flooring, permanent press fabrics, and some insulation materials. Additionally, using tobacco products and burning wood or coal can also release formaldehyde into the air.

2. At what temperature does formaldehyde begin to be released from these products?

Formaldehyde can begin to be released at temperatures as low as room temperature, but the rate of emission typically increases with higher temperatures. Significant emissions can occur during cooking, ironing, and use of heating appliances, which generally operate at temperatures above 100°C (212°F).

3. Are there any health risks associated with inhaling formaldehyde gas?

Yes, inhaling formaldehyde gas can pose several health risks. Short-term exposure can cause symptoms such as sore throat, cough, scratchy eyes, and nasal irritation. Long-term exposure to formaldehyde has been linked to more severe health issues including respiratory problems and is classified as a carcinogen by the International Agency for Research on Cancer, suggesting it can cause cancer with prolonged exposure.

4. How can I reduce my exposure to formaldehyde emissions at home?

To reduce exposure to formaldehyde emissions at home, ensure good ventilation, particularly when using appliances that may emit formaldehyde. Choose formaldehyde-free products or those labeled "low-VOC". Keep indoor temperature and humidity levels low, as higher levels can increase formaldehyde emissions. Additionally, regularly clean and maintain heating appliances to minimize emissions.

5. Are there any regulations or guidelines about formaldehyde emissions in household products?

Yes, there are several regulations and guidelines designed to limit formaldehyde emissions from household products. In the United States, the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) has established regulations for formaldehyde emissions from composite wood products. Additionally, there are various certifications like the California Air Resources Board (CARB) standards and the GREENGUARD certification that set limits on emissions for indoor products and materials.