Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

B do we exist within a singularity

1. Jul 30, 2017 #1
    So there is a thought experiment about a monkey endless typing random words. Given a large enough amount of time, it is certain that the monkey will end up writing everything that has already been written from start to finish one after another. So this being applied to our current theory of the universe, does this not mean that with matter endlessly aligning into a finite amount of combinations over an infinite amount of time, that the existence of life is inevitable and is the embodiment of a possibility and an incomprehensible volume of time.

That being said we now believe that the universe is finite and does indeed have a boundary. So space time is not infinite, could it be possible that our universe is contained within a singularity. A place where space time is infinite, a place where all possibility become definitive. So life and the universe is merely a thing that could happen and there for had to happen. Murphy’s law!

<<Mentor's Note -- OP edtied his post above to make the different question shown below, after replies to the original question. >>

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 30, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 30, 2017 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

I don't think anyone expects a boundary. It is not known if the universe is finite or not.
    What does "within a singularity" mean? There is no such thing.
    What does that mean?

4. Jul 30, 2017 #3
    Yeah the first bit is my mistake, was thinking of the known universe. Within a singularity means past the boarders of our current understanding. A knowledge horizon if you like. A place where time could be infinte and every possibility is forced to happen. Just sounds a lot like our known universe

5. Jul 30, 2017 #4
    If it really sounds to you like our known Universe, then I think you should learn more about our Universe. No offence, but your definition doesn't make any physical/matematical sense. It's just fancy words put together to sound scientific-like...

6. Jul 30, 2017 #5

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

To me it sounds more like woo.

7. Jul 30, 2017 #6
    It does if our known universe is just a grain of sand in a beach that is existence. Just a possibility forced to happen by Murphy a law. Perhaps this is more of a philosophical question

8. Jul 30, 2017 #7

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

You can't make up new definitions for words and expect that others understand you.

We live in a universe we understand quite well. There are many open questions, but we certainly do understand a lot.

9. Jul 30, 2017 #8
    It's not a new definition it is was it is, my mistake came with miss interpreting some facts about the Know universe. My main question is really much smaller and has been blown out of proportion. Thanks for being so understanding with a new member

10. Jul 30, 2017 #9
    With an infinitely expanding universe, my understanding is matter will never align into a finite number of combinations due to irreversible processes increasing the entropy of the system. Regarding extreme possibilities actually happening, I'll use another thought experiment of flipping coins: while the probability of flipping a coin heads 1 million times in a row has a probability >0 over infinity, it's logically safe to say it will never happen.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2017
  11. Jul 30, 2017 #10
    A mathematical singularity is not a physical 'thing'.
    It indicates a situation in which the usually applicable and trustworthy maths cannot be applied.

12. Jul 30, 2017 #11

1oldman2

Gold Member

13. Jul 30, 2017 #12
    Surely when dealing with large numbers i.e. Infinite. Does this not mean that any possibility will eventually happen?

14. Jul 30, 2017 #13
  15. Jul 30, 2017 #14

1oldman2

Gold Member

:thumbup:Of course context is everything, Searching the term using Pf's search bar would be a useful shortcut.

16. Jul 30, 2017 #15
    The idea of "anything that can happen will happen" sounds like a romantic embrace of Murphy's law, which doesn't seem very pragmatic.

17. Jul 30, 2017 #16
    It's a romantic yes but surely it's true, flick a coin enough times and 10 heads will turn up in a row, flick enough times and every possible combination will appear. I'm not sure but I heard it is a mathamitical certenty?

18. Jul 30, 2017 #17
    It
    may very well be woo, I am coming to a conclusion filled in from many sources and I have made a lot of assumptions as I lack any astrophysics background. But to me at least the printable seems sound. I appreciate where dealing with small probabilitys but surely a probability is only as small as the time given for it to actually happen? May be complete phsudeo science, I dunno

19. Jul 30, 2017 #18
    Also to our best records "anything that can happen will happen" was originally what he said. It was later adopted to the more widely known anything that can go wrong, will.

20. Jul 30, 2017 #19
    It seems likely that the universe is NOT infinite in time.
    Big bang theory indicates that it had a beginning, and there are number of plausible theories pertaining to how it ends.
    If the probability of something happening is so low that it's not going to happen in the lifetime of the Universe, that means that in fact it doesn't happen.

21. Jul 30, 2017 #20

Chronos

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The ultraviolet catastrophe was inspired by the notion of a non zero probability that all possible emission frequencies must be realized.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook