Do you dream constantly? Does dreamless sleep even exist?

• Medical
  • Thread starter CherokeeInjun
  • Start date
  • Tags
    even Sleep
In summary: Memories are sorted out constantly in all stages of sleep. Also why was that an inappropriate source?It's right that we have rumination during nREM - not vivid dreams but desultory thoughts. Also peer reviewed articles in an accepted journal found here http://science.thomsonreuters.com/mjl/.
CherokeeInjun
Do you dream constantly? Does "dreamless sleep" even exist?

We know that...
We can dream in all 5 stages of sleep (not just REM)
We move around very often throughout the night (all in nREM since you're paralyzed in REM)
Memories are sorted out constantly in all stages of sleep.
And if you look at history of sleep "research"
First we thought that you dream once or twice every night and most of it is dreamless because we didn't remember dreams
Then that we dream throughout REM.
Then that most dreams are in REM and some in nREM.
I think that it's reasonable to say that you dream constantly and there is no "dreamless sleep"
Or if there is, it's almost certainly not a thoughtless void like most people imagine, and the thoughts in it are very similar to dream thoughts (perhaps not connected in a dream...?)

Last edited by a moderator:
Biology news on Phys.org

Also does that mean you dream when you're awake?

Have you looked online for any actual scientific research?

Yes, that's what i got.

CherokeeInjun said:
Yes, that's what i got.
Show me the sources please, links will be fine. Remember, they must be mainstream scientific studies.

Well one of the links I gave you is the memory activation theory.
The rest I found by google, so I can try to find them again.

CherokeeInjun said:
Well one of the links I gave you is the memory activation theory.
The rest I found by google, so I can try to find them again.
That was deleted as an inappropriate source.

Thanks, I'm curious what you've been reading.

csun.edu/~vcpsy00h/students/dreams.htm
According to this (and other sources I forget) you dream in all stages.
Also why was that an inappropriate source?

CherokeeInjun said:
csun.edu/~vcpsy00h/students/dreams.htm
According to this (and other sources I forget) you dream in all stages.
Also why was that an inappropriate source?
That is also not a valid source, it's a student paper.

This is a valid source.

http://www.ninds.nih.gov/disorders/brain_basics/understanding_sleep.htm#dreaming

There are a few others (but none of them are .gov)
What exactly constitutes a "valid source"?
Just a .gov URL?

CherokeeInjun said:
There are a few others (but none of them are .gov)
What exactly constitutes a "valid source"?
Just a .gov URL?
Also peer reviewed articles in an accepted journal found here http://science.thomsonreuters.com/mjl/. In some cases an article that cites studies found in such journals, as long as the article is accurate and isn't an opinion piece that deviates from the actual study's conclusions. Websites that contain well known and easily verifiable scientific information.

What we don't accept as sources are opinion pieces, speculation, personal theories, and anecdotes.

Last edited:

CherokeeInjun said:
I think that it's reasonable to say that you dream constantly and there is no "dreamless sleep"
Or if there is, it's almost certainly not a thoughtless void like most people imagine, and the thoughts in it are very similar to dream thoughts (perhaps not connected in a dream...?)

It's right that we have rumination during nREM - not vivid dreams but desultory thoughts.

This has been discussed before.

https://www.physicsforums.com/showpost.php?p=3296965&postcount=12

1. Do all humans dream constantly?

No, not all humans dream constantly. It is estimated that about 5% of the population do not remember their dreams at all and may experience dreamless sleep.

2. Why do some people remember their dreams more than others?

The ability to remember dreams is influenced by a variety of factors, including genetics, sleep patterns, and overall brain health. Some people may also have better dream recall techniques, such as keeping a dream journal or practicing lucid dreaming.

3. Is it possible to have dreamless sleep?

Yes, it is possible to have dreamless sleep. During the first stage of sleep, known as non-REM sleep, dreams are less frequent and less vivid. This stage makes up about 75% of our sleep cycle and is often associated with dreamless sleep.

4. Can external factors affect dreaming and dreamless sleep?

Yes, external factors such as stress, medication, and sleep disorders can affect both dreaming and dreamless sleep. For example, certain medications may suppress dreaming, while sleep disorders like sleep apnea can disrupt the sleep cycle and lead to more frequent and vivid dreams.

5. Is there a purpose for dreaming and dreamless sleep?

The exact purpose of dreaming and dreamless sleep is still a subject of debate among scientists. Some theories suggest that dreaming helps with memory consolidation and problem-solving, while dreamless sleep may be important for physical and mental restoration.