Reaction to COVID-19 Vaccine (or what to be prepared for)

In summary, after receiving the second dose of the Moderna vaccine, the person had minor symptoms such as soreness in the arm, feeling sleepy, and a slight fever. They also experienced fatigue, brain fog, and a low appetite. These symptoms lasted for about a day and gradually improved over the course of a month. The person's wife and neighbor also received the vaccine, with milder reactions. The person stated that their immune system responded strongly to the vaccine, showing that it recognizes the spike protein of SARS-COV-2. They also emphasized that despite the side effects, they would still prefer the vaccine over getting the actual virus. After receiving a booster shot, the person experienced even milder symptoms compared to the second dose.
To add another anecdote: I received the latest influenza and RSV vaccines back in October, one in each arm. I noticed no reaction from the RSV site and minor discomfort from flu. I felt a little "under the weather" the next day but exercised (swam) as usual.

Received Moderna booster for Covid-19 Monday. Noticed minor swelling at injection site and a sore arm for about two days reminiscent of throwing, punches or baseballs, too much. Oddly, the opposite arm muscle also twinges making me think I strained my arms a bit while exercising rather than only a reaction to the booster.

Likes bhobba, pinball1970, Laroxe and 1 other person
Biology news on Phys.org
hutchphd said:
I'm really on the fence. I had a Gillain-Barre variant six years ago (perhaps flu-vaccine related) so I am a little bit vaccine averse. Also I do believe that the degree to which the mRNA vaccinations were ineffective in control of transmission itself was willfully underemphasized in the original publicity from CDC and pharma. That being said, the mRNA vaccine saved many many lives and was a triumph. I think I will likely not reboost......already I have eschewed influenza vaccine since (because of) my bad autoimmune response (life is better with myelin!!).
I think they were predicting the effect on transmission based on the experience with other vaccines, the lack of effect on transmission came as an unpleasant surprise. Now of course most countries have decided the high levels of immunity in the population with the protection from severe disease has altered the balance of risks significantly. So most are now only recommending that if people have had the full course of vaccinations and the booster, against Covid, then they don't need another booster, unless they fall into a group considered to be at increased risk. It may be that the generally lower rate of vaccine uptake in the USA has been a factor in the recommendations there.

• Informative
Likes hutchphd and BillTre
After having skipped the Summer version, I got the Fall version of the Moderna co-valent vaccine.

About 4pm on October 31 I received the the Moderna vaccine, lets call this Hour 0. I've had the Moderna vaccines in the past without serious side effects.

Hour 4: Very sleepy, go to bed

Hour ??: Sometime during the night I awaken shivering rather energetically. It shortly subsides and I get up for a bathroom run. That is when I find my legs won't straighten all the way. I make it to the bathroom with my legs half bent. When I try to stand up straight I lose muscle control and my knees go back to half folded.

Hour 12?: Dozing and nauseaus. Ask wife to bring a barf-bag (plastic shopping bag inside a paper shopping bag). She brings casserole dish. Several words later she brings a barf-bag. Fortunately it wasn't needed after all.

Hour 16: Get up after 12hrs. of sleep feeling low on energy and a bit foggy-brained.

Hour 20:I decide to read the vaccine Information Sheet I was given after the injection. On the bottom of the back page, in Section 5 What if there is a serious problem, it states "... If you see signs of a serious allergic reaction (hives, swelling of the face and throat, difficulty breathing, fast heartbeat, dizziness, or weakness), <underline added> call 9-1-1 and get the person to the nearest hospital.

Seek medical attention right away if the vaccinated person experiences chest pain, shortness of breath, or feelings of having a fast-beating, fluttering , or pounding heart after COVID-19 vaccination. ...

Check Pulse Rate and Blood Pressure. Pulse +30%, BP -20%.

I did not detect any heart involvment at the time.

After 4 days I was mostly back to normal, tiring a bit easily though and some minor brain-fog hanging around.

Here it is 10 days after the vax and I seem to be sleeping a bit more and perhaps some memory-recall problems.

I think I will change brands for the next vax!

Cheers,
Tom

• Wow
  • Sad
  • Informative
Likes Astronuc, bhobba, hutchphd and 2 others
Last week, my wife got the Moderna booster vaccine and influenza vaccine this time - one in each arm. She had no discernible reaction, other than some pain where she received the flu vaccine. Most of the folks I know who got the Moderna vaccines had reactions in which they were tired/fatigued.

I've gotten the Pfizer vaccine and boosters, and so far, no significant reaction, even with RSV and Influenza simultaneously.

Laroxe said:
I think they were predicting the effect on transmission based on the experience with other vaccines, the lack of effect on transmission came as an unpleasant surprise.
Indeed, my Thai girlfriend commented on this: " Me no have vaccine no covid" And regarding her girlfriend: " She have vaccine but now she have covid "

morrobay said:
Indeed, my Thai girlfriend commented on this: " Me no have vaccine no covid" And regarding her girlfriend: " She have vaccine but now she have covid "
Well, it takes all kinds of idiots to make up this world.

It's an idea you have to be careful about, while the vaccine isn't particularly brilliant at preventing infection, it does seem to be very effective in preventing infection developing into a very serious or life-threatening disease. Using Thailand as an example, Covid has been linked to around 35,000 premature deaths, but the rate of deaths fell rapidly following the introduction of vaccination. Across the whole world, it has been the unvaccinated who have suffered the greatest risk of death, but we are now reaching the point at which few people have not had some exposure to this virus.

We are entering a whole new era in medicine with manipulating our own immune system using vaccines or drugs is becoming a major part of the prevention and treatment of loads of diseases, this is already the case with many cancers, vaccines are also being developed for many killer diseases and even to increase our lifespan directly. Unfortunately, whatever people feel about the Covid 19 vaccines, the fashion associated with vaccine refusal has already led to a resurgence in diseases that were previously well controlled.

Likes pinball1970, Astronuc, OmCheeto and 2 others
Long covid has been discussed previously.

This study in the BMJ today showing the protection of the vaccine against long covid. https://www.bmj.com/content/383/bmj-2023-076990

CDC view which already states this protection the vaccine gives in the summary.

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/long-term-effects/index.html

This article from January this year, documented 650 million Covid cases with approximately 10% of those leading to long Covid.
https://www.nature.com/articles/s41579-022-00846-2

Likes Laroxe