Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Do you people here watch The MythBusters on Discovery Channel?

1. May 1, 2006 #1
    Do you people here watch The MythBusters on Discovery Channel? I think those people on the show are super weird but cool. They have also conducted several ground-breaking experiments like "Is it possible to break wind so much that you can suffocate to death? " and "Are teeth strong enough to withstand the force of a bullet?".

So, have any of you tried any mythbusting urself? Is it true that you get electrocuted if lightning strikes water tanks on top of your apartments?

2. jcsd
  3. May 1, 2006 #2

DaveC426913

Gold Member

- toilet flushing in different direction in N or S hemisphere
    - warm water freezing to ice cubes faster than cold water
    - lit cigarette igniting gasoline

OK, I've never actually done these experiments, but I've always planned to.

4. May 1, 2006 #3

J77

They did a cool one on verifying that people can get killed in a car crash by stuff that they'd left on the bit covering the boot (I believe you Americans call this a trunk) launghing into the back of the person's head...

5. May 1, 2006 #4
    I never tried the toilet bowl one before but i know the cigarette lighting gasoline myth is busted.
    http://mesh.medill.northwestern.edu/mnschicago/archives/2004/11/fire_expert_cha.html

6. May 1, 2006 #5

Integral

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

It is a good show, but I do not always agree that they have busted the myths. For instance, Is it more effecient to drive with the windows down or use the AC. They did the test at 45mph! This is simply not fast enough to create a difference. They needed to do it at 65 or 70mph. That may have shown a real difference.

Keep in mind that these guys are special effects experts, not engineers or scientists.

7. May 1, 2006 #6

Pengwuino

Gold Member

Yah, they do their best but they just can't compare to people that studied science in the first place.

I also wouldn't call any of their experiments "ground-breaking"... except maybe the break-step bridge because they literally broke the ground beneath them. :rofl: :rofl:

8. May 1, 2006 #7

JasonRox

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Some are ok.

I found them to be very wasteful more than anything.

9. May 1, 2006 #8

Janus

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Agreed. If fact, I think an actual study showed that at low speeds it was more efficient to keep the windows open and at freeway speeds more efficient to use the AC.

10. May 1, 2006 #9
    Like I've said before, they often miss several important variables in their experiments.

11. May 1, 2006 #10

cronxeh

Gold Member

ummm..... i dont think anyone needed mythbusters to get that one right

12. May 1, 2006 #11

Pengwuino

Gold Member

go on their fansite. Some people believe anything.

13. May 2, 2006 #12
    I think the show is awesome. I don't really care if it's wasteful or wrong, I just want to see them blow **** up.

14. May 2, 2006 #13

Pengwuino

Gold Member

Yah, who cares if its wasteful. What does that even mean for a show to be wasteful? Do they consume tremendous amounts of coal or something?

15. May 2, 2006 #14

cronxeh

Gold Member

just racking up entropy i tell ya :grumpy:

16. May 2, 2006 #15
    Anyone catch the episode on the myth of one poor dude who got shot right thru his nether regions and the bullet subsequently hit a woman who got pregnant as a result of this. I wonder how they bust this myth.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?