Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Do you prefer songs from before or after the 21st century

1. Aug 26, 2011 #1
    I'd go with before

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 26, 2011 #2
    Re: Do u prefer songs from before or after the 21st century

Before... I'm not opposed to a lot of the 2000's music, But even counting in the difference in sound/recording quality, there has been a lot more music created pre- 2000's than in the last ten years. So I would have to go with before, Pink floyd, ELO and John Barry are probably my favorite Before 2000's, Coldplay, New Radicals and The Foo fighters After 2000.

4. Aug 26, 2011 #3

From what I've heard of 21st century music so far, I would say after.

5. Aug 26, 2011 #4

FlexGunship

Gold Member

Looooooong after.

6. Aug 26, 2011 #5

How about during?

Every generation eventually comes to think that "the music nowadays is crap compared to what we had when I was younger...". It's more a matter of people getting old, stubborn, and closed-minded. Music is always changing, usually faster than a person's preferences can change.

7. Aug 26, 2011 #6

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

I don't agree. The music when I was younger was crap. The music is still crap :biggrin:
    I wish I lived in the 60's or 70's. That times seemed so much more exciting...

8. Aug 26, 2011 #7

I listen to music as early as the 15th century, granted performed and recorded today, but originally composed in the 15th - 18th century. Is that before?

9. Aug 26, 2011 #8

FlexGunship

Gold Member

I find that all music has some merit even if the merit isn't in the musicality. That being said, 1988 was the worst year for music. Can anyone name the only good song to come out of 1988? I believe it was ranked number 10 of the top 100 songs of 1988.

10. Aug 26, 2011 #9
    I grew up in the 60's and, looking back, find that the 80's is my favorite period for music. The reason is Dick Clark's famous pronouncement: "Music is the soundtrack of our lives." I had a much better time in the 80's and recall that "soundtrack" more fondly. I think I'll look back on 2000 to 2010 as another good period.

11. Aug 26, 2011 #10

Evo

Staff: Mentor

60's underground music was great, then music went down hill in the 70's, my best friend at the time discussed that it looked like there would never be good music again. Then I loved the 80's, good fun, then Pearl Jam, Indie music, and The Magnetic Fields 69 love songs 3 cd set is the best music EVER!

12. Aug 26, 2011 #11

George Jones

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I like music that gives me a big chill.

13. Aug 26, 2011 #12
    I like when the vocals are so autotuned that everyone sounds like robots - preferably, they sing about stuff like a plane engine or how drunk they are. Oh and synthesizers, you can NEVER HAVE ENOUGH synthesizers!

14. Aug 26, 2011 #13
    I have found quite a bit of music made during and after 2000 that I really enjoy. Quantity wise there is obviously more from before but quality wise I would consider them equal.

15. Aug 26, 2011 #14
    I think the quality of music remained pretty much constant since 1970. The thing is that we tend to say that present day music is the crappiest since we actually have some contact with it .Most crap from the past is forgotten and is hard to dig up.Also present bad music can get in the way of finding something good. You must keep an open mind and search the few great albums that come out each year.

16. Aug 27, 2011 #15
    The 21st century is only 11 years old, so it seems an odd comparison to me. Of course, if you were born after 1990, your point of view is somewhat different. While I would have to say, because of my age, that the 20th century would be my choice, I only recently became with seriously acquainted with the work of British soul singer Amy Winehouse (since her death actually). It seems she has taken some 50 or more years of 20th century (soul, R&B, jazz, hip hop, reggae and 60's "girl group") music and created a new exciting 21st century genre of her own. Her style is direct, powerful, highly original and masterful. Her songs can be deeply evocative and personal, sometimes almost embarrassing so (Did I really have to know that?).

I personally think that her earlier stuff (before 2005) is better than her more recent stuff (Rehab, Back to Black), but that's just me. No doubt, her biggest commercial hit "Rehab" is classic Amy. Who else makes a video where she looks like she just got out of bed (because she did) with an 8 piece band in her bedroom (which looks like a bomb shelter from WWII)? Being conventional is not where she's at. You take her or leave her, warts and all. I like that.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2011
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook