Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Non Native English Speakers: Can You Understand Song Lyrics?

1. Mar 4, 2014 #1

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I'm a native English speaker and many songs, especially rock songs, sound like gibberish to me. I'm not particularly unusual this way, and I think we've had threads on that before. But I can't imagine how hard it must be for non-native speakers! Now that we have the innerwebs we can find song lyrics, thankfully.

So my question is for non-native speakers of English: Can you make out English song lyrics very well?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 4, 2014 #2

Curious3141

Homework Helper

I would consider myself a native speaker of English, and even then, I would say it depends on the song.

Something like "Vincent" by Don Mclean - no problem making out every single word.

http://youtu.be/dipFMJckZOM

Something like "Take On Me" by A-ha - a bit of a crapshoot. I can make out maybe 30%?

http://youtu.be/djV11Xbc914

Something like "Into the Infinity of Thoughts" by Emperor - haha, good luck. If you can make out even 10% of the words, you're already a certifiable genius. Or certifiably insane. :biggrin:

http://youtu.be/tccZs_veliA

4. Mar 4, 2014 #3

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Oh I get over 50% of "Take On Me"! But any screaming songs...just, nope.

One song with famously unintelligible lyrics is actually one of my favorite songs - this version, with one person's "interpretation", is hilarious:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xLd22ha_-VU

"I don't know why they suntan nails" :rofl:

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 25, 2014
  5. Mar 4, 2014 #4
    I sometimes listen to death metal music and I can understand even the "death growl". I have quite good hearing though and English has been my 3rd language forever - sometimes I'm on the impression I know it better than Estonian or Russian ^^

6. Mar 4, 2014 #5

WannabeNewton

Science Advisor

English is my 2nd language and I often do have a hard time understanding lyrics to songs. Between ages 13 and like 16 I had no idea what most of the lyrics to Zeppelin songs were even though I had listened to every single one a million times.

I have the same problem with most pop songs but surprisingly (or not) I don't have the problem with blues or Motown.

I would include death metal but I don't think anyone can understand that garbled nonsense.

7. Mar 4, 2014 #6

Curious3141

Homework Helper

Depends on the death metal. Death grind (a very extreme form of death metal-grindcore fusion) is pretty much unintelligible, but something like Amon Amarth (Viking-themed melodic death metal) is often more intelligible than many modern pop songs.

8. Mar 4, 2014 #7
    I have actually mis-heard some lyrics here and there, for example
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CCdOVThsWEg
    Ozzy Osbourne - Paranoid, what I hear is "I tell you to end your life.." what he really says is "I tell you to enjoy life" XD

9. Mar 4, 2014 #8

Maylis

Gold Member

10. Mar 5, 2014 #9

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Jimi Hendrix: 'Scuse me, while I kiss this guy!"

11. Mar 5, 2014 #10
    sky?

12. Mar 5, 2014 #11

dlgoff

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

So is your 1st language Maths? :approve:

Had you been in college in the '60 and '70s you probably would have had something to help with that. :devil:

13. Mar 5, 2014 #12
    I thought Flowerchildren rose and fell with the Woodstock 68..then again that's like, when my mom was young, so I wasn't on the agenda even.

Anyway, a lyric-comprehension challenge:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tGiMinmqKPo
    My favourite death metal band, Nile.
    Starts off as "the necromancers of Giza..." aand then you will kind of lose track if you're not used to hearing this :D

Last edited: Mar 5, 2014
  14. Mar 5, 2014 #13

dlgoff

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

[hijack thread]Once a hippie always a hippie. 160px-RussianRainbowGathering_4Aug2005.jpg [/end hijack]

15. Mar 5, 2014 #14

Borek

Staff: Mentor

No. Song lyrics played using drum language would be about as effective as sung in English. But then, I generally have a problem with spoken English - lack of training.

But it is the same in Polish - some singers are completely unintelligible.

Edit: ROFL, I have problems with understanding even this one:

16. Mar 5, 2014 #15
  17. Mar 5, 2014 #16

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Actually, even if one is a native English speaker, it still doesn't mean that one can understand English song lyrics. This is especially true if certain regional colloquialism is heavily used in the song lyrics. My example would be two of my most favorite tunes, Rickie Lee Jones' "Chuck E's In Love" and "Last Chance Texaco". Not knowing what "I-9" is, what the "Pantages" is, or even what "p.l.p" stands for certainly will make understanding the lyrics a little bit more difficult.

And even if you THINK you know, the full meaning and impact could also be missing. Pet Shop Boys' "West End Girls" would have a lot more meaning if one knows the West End and East End neighborhoods of London.

Zz.

18. Mar 5, 2014 #17

jim hardy

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

It's not just non-english speakers who have difficulty...

however i am constantly surprised at how much more intelligible lyrics are on today's sound equipment than what i had in the 1950's...

really like this one, which is on this subject...

19. Mar 5, 2014 #18

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

What's amazing about Rickie Lee Jones is that she is incomprehensible in the recordings - but clear as a bell live.

20. Mar 5, 2014 #19

jtbell

Staff: Mentor

That probably says something about the techniques used by her recording engineers and producers. :yuck:

21. Mar 5, 2014 #20

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

I will also say that no matter if you are an English speaker or not, no one can comprehend Jimmy Webb's "Macarthur's Park"! :)

Till this day, I have no idea what that song is about. Maybe I left my cake out in the rain for way too long.

Zz.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook