Do you recommend Schaum's Outlines (for Mathematics)

• Thread starter bacte2013
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mathematics
In summary, the conversation discusses using Schaum's Outlines as supplements for Apostol's Calculus volume 1 and 2 books. The pros of Schaum's Outlines are that they provide a lot of problems, summarize topics well, and serve as a useful reference. However, they may not match a specific course and some may not cover the latest topics. The conversation also mentions using Schaum's Outlines for relearning Vector Calculus, but notes that there may be some conceptual issues. Overall, the conversationalists favor Schaum's Outlines for their practicality and thoroughness.
bacte2013
Hello!

I am currently using Apostol's Calculus volume 1 book, and going to take multivariable calculus-linear algebra-differential equations course on Fall semester that uses the volume 2 book of Apostol. Although the Apostol book is very outstanding, I feel like some of the topics are very difficult to understand and book does not have many problems. I did some search, and I found the schaum's outlines for calculus, advanced calculus, 3000 calculus problems, linear algebra, differential equations, and ordinary DE. Are those books good for supplements? Do you think they will go perfectly with Apostol's volume 1 and 2 books?

Physics news on Phys.org
Schaum's Outlines are really good in my opinion but you should be aware they never match any particular course but tend to survey the whole subject. Also some of the outlines have been in continuous print for many years and may not have the latest topics described.

The pros are that they do provide a lot of problems and they do summarize things well and also supplement that with many worked problems.

I like the Schaum's Mathematical Handbook as a reference which was recommended to me 40 years ago and is still quite useful today.

I've also been trying to relearn Vector Calculus from them but sometimes run into conceptual issues (more like doubts i.e. knowing something is so but asking why or how can this be questions which slows my learning down).

I tend to favor them over standard texts for applied math stuff and I think they been reviewed so many times that any mistakes should have been removed.

1. Is Schaum's Outlines a good resource for learning mathematics?

Yes, Schaum's Outlines is a highly recommended resource for learning mathematics. It provides comprehensive coverage of various topics in mathematics and includes many practice problems with detailed explanations.

2. How is Schaum's Outlines different from other math textbooks?

Schaum's Outlines is unique because it focuses on problem-solving techniques and provides step-by-step solutions for practice problems. It also includes numerous examples and exercises to reinforce concepts.

3. Can Schaum's Outlines be used as a standalone textbook for a math course?

While Schaum's Outlines can be used as a standalone resource, it is best used as a supplement to a textbook. It provides additional practice problems and explanations to supplement a traditional textbook.

4. Are the Schaum's Outlines books suitable for all levels of math?

Yes, Schaum's Outlines covers a wide range of math topics and can be used by students at all levels, from high school to college-level courses.

5. How often are Schaum's Outlines books updated?

Schaum's Outlines books are regularly updated to reflect changes in curriculum and new developments in mathematics. It is recommended to check for the latest edition when purchasing the book.