Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Do you think Dumbo could actually fly?

1. Nov 30, 2008 #1
    No, right? I mean... his ears are straight! and to fly you need lift, and flying straight would give you no lift.

It's obvious that he can't, but i'm trying to figure out the laws and stuff to prove that he couldn't.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 30, 2008 #2

atyy

Science Advisor

The most important thing in physics is agreement with experimental data. The data clearly indicate that Dumbo could fly.

4. Nov 30, 2008 #3
    Ears emit flyons that clearly let Dumbo fly.

5. Nov 30, 2008 #4

Danger

Gold Member

The term 'power-to-weight ratio' comes to mind.

6. Nov 30, 2008 #5

FredGarvin

Science Advisor

How about the law that it was a friggin' cartoon and is intended for children. You must have a lot of time on your hands.

7. Nov 30, 2008 #6

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Of course he can't fly - the airflow path over the top and bottom of his ears is the same length, so there is no low pressure area!
    The real question is - could Dumbo take off from a treadmill?

8. Nov 30, 2008 #7
    Only if he takes off tail first and somebody holds him until his ears spin.

9. Dec 1, 2008 #8
    OMG! This is cute! :rofl:

10. Dec 2, 2008 #9
    Somebody never got to watch Dumbo as a child! :wink:

It's okay, there's still time. Just say you are buying it for your daughter or something.

11. Dec 2, 2008 #10
    :rofl:

12. Dec 2, 2008 #11

Mentallic

Homework Helper

Why has this question even been proposed? Of course dumbo can fly! The irony is that no elephants were harmed in the making of that film.

13. Dec 2, 2008 #12

Danger

Gold Member

That is incorrect. It's a little-known Hollywood dark secret that Dumbo's stunt double tried to stifle a sneeze and sprained his trunk.

14. Dec 2, 2008 #13

OMG! I heard about that! :surprised

15. Dec 2, 2008 #14

Mentallic

Homework Helper

Thats poppy-kok. Ears can be 2-dimensionally flat for all I care.
    When he flaps, air blows into his ear drum, causing a build up in pressure in his head.He brainfarts out of his ears, creating the thrust needed. This is repeatedly continually, and while this is not very healthy, dumbo is still one of the brightest flying elephants I have had the privelege of getting an autograph from.

16. Dec 2, 2008 #15

neu

He flies like a harrier jump jet using his bumhole

17. Dec 2, 2008 #16
    Dumbo could not fly. He was chosen for the role because of his cute face. A stunt elephant did all of the flying scenes.

18. Dec 2, 2008 #17

BobG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

19. Dec 3, 2008 #18

Redbelly98

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Now that the mystery of Dumbo flying is resolved, what about:
    • Could Bugs Bunny and Mickey Mouse really talk like a person?
    • Could dinosaurs coexist with humans in The Flintstones?
    • Could Wile E. Coyote survive hundreds of falls from atop a 300 foot high cliff?
    • Could Superman fly, have x-ray vision, super strength, and all his other super-powers?

20. Dec 3, 2008 #19

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Of course they do - I've seen it on Fox! (Although Mickey seems slightly retarded)

As long as they stay off the topics of religion and politics they get along fine.

Of course he's a physicist!
    One of my profs had worked on the Manhattan project, he said that once the 'device' had reached a certain level of assembly no scientists were allowed near it - only engineers.
    The logic was that if it failed to go off, a physicist's natural reaction would be to go upto it and start wiggling wires - like Wiley underneath one of his own traps.

Yes, you just have to remove the tag that says - 'This cape does not permit wearer to fly'

21. Dec 3, 2008 #20

Evo

Staff: Mentor

<snorgg> :rofl:

I'm surprised this wasn't moved to philosophy instead of GD.

Ok, I think we've beaten this one to death.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?