Do you think my school will let me major in physics?

In summary: But don't worry, there are often ways to get around this. Talk to the physics advisor on campus, or your major's department.
Frzn
Here's my situation

Just finished first year of school...I went into it thinking I wanted to do medicine so I took first year chem, bio, and non-calculus based physics. I got a B in mechanics (1st semester) and an A in E&M (2nd semester) and I decided that I really want to do physics.

Unfortunately to continue in physics I need to have calculus based first year physics. But the calc based courses all say that they "Cannot be held with *non calc based physics course*".

Now I should mention that on the physics major track at my school, to do the calculus based 2nd semester physics course (E&M stuff) you need a B in calculus based mechanics (1st semester) or B+ in non-calc based mechanics. Since I got a B in non-calc based mechanics I can't just go into 2nd semester calc based physics so I'll need to take the calc based first semester course in mechanics.

I'm going to contact the registrar or whatever, but what do you guys think? Are they going to let me in even though I technically can't hold credit in both types of physics? PS. I have calculus 1 and 2.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Talk to an advisor in the physics department. Mention that you would like to declare as a physics major. Admissions shouldn't have anything to do with it, and the registrar will just read you the rules. There are all sorts of ways to get around the rules when it's appropriate, so go talk to the physics department.

kote said:
Talk to an advisor in the physics department. Mention that you would like to declare as a physics major. Admissions shouldn't have anything to do with it, and the registrar will just read you the rules. There are all sorts of ways to get around the rules when it's appropriate, so go talk to the physics department.

I'm actually not sure why I said admissions o_O

I didn't mean to. I'll edit the post.

Yes, talk to somebody in the physics department. They've probably had situations like yours before, and can work out something for you. The details vary from one school to another.

As jtbell says, the details vary. The most likely outcome is that you will be asked to take calc-based intro physics not for credit before you can advance.

1. Can I major in physics at my school?

It depends on the specific requirements and offerings of your school's physics department. Some schools may have a separate engineering program or a joint physics and engineering program, while others may offer a standalone physics major. It's best to check with your school's academic advisors or department heads to determine your options.

2. What qualifications do I need to major in physics?

Most schools require a strong background in mathematics, particularly calculus and algebra. Some may also require a background in science, such as physics or chemistry. It's important to review the specific requirements and prerequisites for the physics major at your school to ensure you have the necessary qualifications.

3. Can I double major in physics and another subject?

This may vary depending on your school's policies and the specific requirements for each major. Some schools may allow double majors, while others may require students to choose one major and minor in another subject. It's best to check with your school's academic advisors or department heads to determine your options.

4. Are there any specific courses or electives I need to take for a physics major?

Again, this may vary depending on your school's requirements. However, most physics majors will have a core set of courses that cover key concepts in physics, such as mechanics, thermodynamics, and electricity and magnetism. Some schools may also have specific electives or research opportunities available for physics majors.

5. What career opportunities are available with a physics major?

A physics major can lead to a variety of career paths, including research positions in academia or industry, engineering roles, teaching positions, or even careers in finance or computer science. It's important to consider your interests and strengths to determine the best career path for you within the field of physics.