Do you use two lines (of ruled paper) for a rational functio

In summary: Backslash is for special purposes in computer programming, but in pure text you can use it for expressing TeX or LaTeX markup.In summary, when writing a rational function, you can use either one line for the numerator and one line for the denominator, or you can write both the numerator and denominator in smaller font on one line, as long as it is still legible. Another option is to use LaTeX notation, which does not use a slash, but rather a horizontal bar to separate the numerator and denominator. However, when writing in pure text, it is important to use parentheses to clarify the expression when using a forward-slash or backslash. Ultimately, the most important factor is to use notation that is clear and easy to read
jaysquestions
Do you use two lines (of regular ruled paper) for a rational function?

FOr example, would you use two lines or one for the equation

## f(x) = (x^2-3) / x+2 ##

I can see three ways (in general) of writing this.
1) numerator and denominator each get one line
2) num and den are written smaller so they both fit on one line. or.
3) write it like latex, using the back slash

im just asking wrt what you think looks the neatest for homework and notes.
thank you

Mathematics news on Phys.org
jaysquestions said:

You're missing a pair of parentheses here around the terms in the denominator. It should be ## f(x) = (x^2-3) / (x+2) ##. Otherwise, what you have written is the same as ## f(x) = \frac{x^2-3} x + 2 ##
jaysquestions said:
If you write with a fine pen/pencil, you can fit both num and den on a single line, and it's still legible. As long as it can be easily read, I don't think it makes much difference.

If you write it like LaTeX, you don't use the slash at all - here's the LaTeX for your rational expression: \frac{x^2 - 3}{x + 2}
In rendered form, this becomes
$$\frac{x^2 - 3}{x + 2}$$
jaysquestions said:
thank you
[/quote]

Line rules?
One - that formula is short, it should fit in and does not break the layout.

Didn't use that type of paper for years, however. Squared paper is more practical.

jaysquestions said:

thank you
I am throwing away all assumptions, ignoring what the other posters have said, and ask: jayquestions, what are you asking? Exactly what is your function f(x)? Do you want to make a graph of your f(x)?

I'd go with two lines. I can't stand when people try to squeeze small, illegible numbers in between lines. Makes me cringe.

I understand now.
Use cartesian graph paper. Two number lines meeting at right angles.

NO. I misunderstood here. Better answer in a following post...

Last edited:
Yes I was asking about how to write legible with many equations.

jaysquestions said:

thank you

Your question is not about graph paper, and not about what kind of paper on which to write, and not about drawing anything. Your question is really about how to handle algebraic, arithmetic, mathematical notation. Use what you are formally taught in school, for when you both study and use arithmetic and algebra.

You show a numerator and denominator of a fraction ON PAPER (and chalkboard and dry erase board) using a horizontal bar; NOT a slash mark; to separate the numerator from the denominator. How you choose the size on paper depends on what is needed for both YOU and YOUR READER to be able to read and understand what is written.

Forward-Slash is strictly for writing in pure text, and you usually must supply parentheses to clarify what you want to express; otherwise you either are being ambiguous or are expressing something with a different meaning.

1. What is a rational function?

A rational function is a mathematical expression that represents the division of two polynomial functions. It can be written in the form of f(x) = p(x)/q(x), where p(x) and q(x) are polynomial functions and q(x) is not equal to 0.

2. Why do you need two lines of ruled paper for a rational function?

A rational function can have both a numerator and a denominator that contain multiple terms. In order to keep the expressions organized and easily readable, it is helpful to use two lines of ruled paper to separate the numerator and denominator.

3. How do you graph a rational function using two lines of ruled paper?

To graph a rational function using two lines of ruled paper, you can first plot the x-intercepts, which are the values of x that make the denominator equal to 0. Then, you can plot additional points by choosing values for x and solving for y. Finally, you can connect the plotted points to create a smooth curve.

4. Can a rational function have more than two lines of ruled paper?

Yes, a rational function can have more than two lines of ruled paper if the numerator and denominator contain multiple terms. Each additional term in the numerator or denominator will require an extra line to keep the expression organized.

5. What are some real-life applications of rational functions?

Rational functions are commonly used in economics, physics, and engineering to model real-life situations such as population growth, fluid flow, and electrical circuits. They are also used in finance to calculate interest rates and in medicine to model drug concentrations in the human body.