Doctor Investigates Childhood Leukemia Causes

• Medical
  • Thread starter jedishrfu
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Doctor
In summary, the study found that most cases of childhood leukemia are likely caused by a combination of genetic mutation and exposure to infection in early life. The study also found that breastfeeding is beneficial in guiding the exposure for a healthy immune system.
https://medicalxpress.com/news/2018-05-uk-scientist-reveals-childhood-leukaemia.html

A major new analysis reveals for the first time the likely cause of most cases of childhood leukaemia, following more than a century of controversy about its origins.Professor Mel Greaves from The Institute of Cancer Research, London, assessed the most comprehensive body of evidence ever collected on acute lymphoblastic leukaemia (ALL) - the most common type of childhood cancer.

His research concludes that the disease is caused through a two-step process of genetic mutation and exposure to infection that means it may be preventable with treatments to stimulate or 'prime' the immune system in infancy.

The first step involves a genetic mutation that occurs before birth in the foetus and predisposes children to leukaemia—but only 1 per cent of children born with this genetic change go on to develop the disease.

The second step is also crucial. The disease is triggered later, in childhood, by exposure to one or more common infections, but primarily in children who experienced 'clean' childhoods in the first year of life, without much interaction with other infants or older children.

Likes atyy and Greg Bernhardt
Biology news on Phys.org
The second step sounds like parents share some blame? I wonder how that will be received. Too much sanitation and sterilization? Let kids be dirty?

Likes jedishrfu
Greg Bernhardt said:
The second step sounds like parents share some blame? I wonder how that will be received. Too much sanitation and sterilization? Let kids be dirty?

This is a very difficult road for parents. Letting them be dirty may lead to a host of other illnesses like necrotizing fascitis or lime disease...

Its tough to be a parent.

Likes Greg Bernhardt
Greg Bernhardt said:
Let kids be dirty?
Given the actual trends of our civilization instead of that simple method I would rather expect to appear some special 'dirt pills' and 'temperance soaps' :nb)

Likes BillTre and jedishrfu
Rive said:
Given the actual trends of our civilization instead of that simple method I would rather expect to appear some special 'dirt pills' and 'temperance soaps' :nb)

Or a microbiome pill, to change your gut for the better with good bacteria.

Asthma in early childhood is related to lack of exposure to foreign antigens in very young children, i.e. being in very close proximity animals: livestock, mammalian pets, etc.

Hygiene hypothesis: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3411171/ discusses mouse model of Hygiene hypothesis. You may see this concept called the 'bored immune system' response in popular science articles.

Likes PhanthomJay and jedishrfu
I recall learning about the hygiene hypothesis after my daughter was born.

I observed and timed her exposure closely in infancy and the early years. Go play in the grass and dirt!

Breastfeeding is incredibly useful for guiding the exposure for a healthy immune system. I wonder if these childen in the study were breastfed?

I have memories of being delighted to expose her to the "unsanitary" after she was old enough.

I should shut up though. She was just diagnosed with allergies this week, so I didn't do all that great! Zyrtec every day now!

I think we all get allergies especially if we move to a new area later in life.

I've heard that local honey can acclimate your body to new environs however the problem seems to be that you don't know where the honey actually comes from or if its a blend of kinds of honey. We got some Manuka honey in New Zeland and its claim is that it's a natural antibiotic.

https://www.webmd.com/allergies/features/does-honey-help-prevent-allergies

https://www.healthline.com/health/allergies/honey-remedy#research

and on Manuka honey research:

https://www.webmd.com/a-to-z-guides/manuka-honey-medicinal-uses#1

And to think for 40 years I thought it was caused by magnetic fields (rays of death) from power lines.

1. What is childhood leukemia?

Childhood leukemia is a type of cancer that affects the white blood cells in the body. It is the most common type of cancer in children, accounting for about 30% of all childhood cancers. Leukemia occurs when the body produces too many abnormal white blood cells, which can interfere with the body's ability to fight infections.

2. What are the causes of childhood leukemia?

The exact causes of childhood leukemia are still unknown, but scientists believe that a combination of genetic and environmental factors play a role. Some genetic mutations have been linked to an increased risk of developing leukemia, and exposure to certain environmental toxins or radiation may also increase the risk.

3. Is there a way to prevent childhood leukemia?

Currently, there is no known way to prevent childhood leukemia. However, there are steps that can be taken to reduce the risk, such as avoiding exposure to known carcinogens and maintaining a healthy lifestyle. It is important to follow recommended vaccination schedules and to seek medical attention for any unusual symptoms or illnesses.

4. How is childhood leukemia diagnosed?

Childhood leukemia is typically diagnosed through a combination of medical history, physical examination, and laboratory tests. These tests may include blood tests, bone marrow biopsy, and imaging scans. It is important to consult a medical professional for an accurate diagnosis and treatment plan.

5. What are the treatment options for childhood leukemia?

The treatment for childhood leukemia depends on several factors, including the type and stage of the cancer, as well as the child's overall health. Treatment may include chemotherapy, radiation therapy, stem cell transplantation, and targeted therapy. The goal of treatment is to eliminate cancer cells and allow the body to produce healthy blood cells again.