Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Does a quantum possess structure or geometry?

1. Nov 18, 2006 #1
    Does a quantum possess structure or geometry? If so, how would one describe it? Does a quantum intrinsically counteract definition in spacetime?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 18, 2006 #2
    I thought a quantum was a semantic construction used to define a discrete unit of energy. Its a convention, not a hard fast physical unit. Maybe you could define a quantum first, I'm a little confused on the question.

4. Nov 18, 2006 #3
    I am essentially asking for a possible definition of a quantum in terms of spacetime geometry. Apparently one can more readily make a conditional definition for a quantum in terms of phase space.

5. Nov 18, 2006 #4

Danger

Gold Member

You kinda lost me on that, Loren. As Order pointed out, a quantum is essentially the smallest possible unit of... something. A quantum of EM is a photon, a quantum of time, if such exists, would be a (chronon?), a quantum of gravity, if it exists, would be a graviton. I don't think that your question, as asked, is answerable.

6. Nov 19, 2006 #5
    I think of a quantum as having foremost the minimum measurable amount of action, h. Aren't any other "quanta" observed (such as those constrained to quantum gravity, like the Planck units, or free particles, like those of the photoelectric effect) - including structure - more secondary to the process of measurement?

7. Nov 19, 2006 #6
    http://www.matem.unam.mx/~micho/qgeom.html

8. Nov 20, 2006 #7
    tehno,

One of the more interesting personal sites I have seen in a while. I believe I can understand enough of it to recognize some connections to my initial inquiry. The article offers primarily a review of various advanced mathematics used to describe quanta in visualizable terms. (John Archibald Wheeler has been concerned about pregeometry as a substructure of quantum gravity for quite some time.)

At first read I wonder what Micho Durdevich would think of quantum geometry as a projection of spacetime onto a discontinuous, exactly 3-dimensional (yet fractal) phase space - that is, one both probabilistic and embeddable?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?