Does a quantum possess structure or geometry?

In summary: I could see how looking at the geometry of a quantum system could be revealing and useful, but it seems like a strange way to start a review article.The article does start out discussing Wheeler's work on pregeometry, which I found interesting. I am not sure how much of it Micho would find useful though because he is mainly interested in understanding how geometry affects the behavior of particles. In summary, Micho Durdevich believes that quantum geometry can be used to project the geometry of spacetime onto a discontinuous phase space.
Loren Booda
Does a quantum possesses structure or geometry? If so, how would one describe it? Does a quantum intrinsically counteract definition in spacetime?

Physics news on Phys.org
I thought a quantum was a semantic construction used to define a discrete unit of energy. Its a convention, not a hard fast physical unit. Maybe you could define a quantum first, I'm a little confused on the question.

I am essentially asking for a possible definition of a quantum in terms of spacetime geometry. Apparently one can more readily make a conditional definition for a quantum in terms of phase space.

You kinda lost me on that, Loren. As Order pointed out, a quantum is essentially the smallest possible unit of... something. A quantum of EM is a photon, a quantum of time, if such exists, would be a (chronon?), a quantum of gravity, if it exists, would be a graviton. I don't think that your question, as asked, is answerable.

I think of a quantum as having foremost the minimum measurable amount of action, h. Aren't any other "quanta" observed (such as those constrained to quantum gravity, like the Planck units, or free particles, like those of the photoelectric effect) - including structure - more secondary to the process of measurement?

Loren Booda said:
Does a quantum possesses structure or geometry? If so, how would one describe it? Does a quantum intrinsically counteract definition in spacetime?
http://www.matem.unam.mx/~micho/qgeom.html

tehno,

One of the more interesting personal sites I have seen in a while. I believe I can understand enough of it to recognize some connections to my initial inquiry. The article offers primarily a review of various advanced mathematics used to describe quanta in visualizable terms. (John Archibald Wheeler has been concerned about pregeometry as a substructure of quantum gravity for quite some time.)

At first read I wonder what Micho Durdevich would think of quantum geometry as a projection of spacetime onto a discontinuous, exactly 3-dimensional (yet fractal) phase space - that is, one both probabilistic and embeddable?

1. What is the structure of a quantum?

The structure of a quantum refers to its intrinsic properties and characteristics, such as its mass, spin, and charge.

2. Does a quantum have a defined shape or geometry?

No, a quantum does not have a defined shape or geometry in the traditional sense. It is described by a wave function that determines its probability of existing in certain locations.

3. Can we visualize the structure of a quantum?

No, we cannot visualize the structure of a quantum as it exists in a state of superposition, meaning it can exist in multiple states simultaneously.

4. How does the structure of a quantum affect its behavior?

The structure of a quantum affects its behavior in various ways, such as determining its energy levels and interactions with other particles.

5. Is the structure of a quantum constant or can it change?

The structure of a quantum can change depending on its interactions with other particles. It is also subject to the principles of quantum mechanics, which allow for unpredictable behavior and changes in state.