Does all orbiting space debris eventually fall and why?

• I
  • Thread starter Jonathan212
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Fall Space
In summary: That would be cheaper, easier, and less dangerous than any of the schemes currently being developed.In summary, atmospheric drag causes satellites to gradually decay and eventually fall to earth. However, geosynchronous satellites are not at risk of falling because they are not in low Earth orbit.
Jonathan212
Just read somewhere that we have left some 500,000 pieces of debris orbiting around earth. Some probably are near enough to touch a little atmosphere so it is reasonable to expect they will fall eventually. But what about the ones a little further? Will they never return to earth?

Astronomy news on Phys.org
The main cause of the orbital decay is atmospheric drag. Even the tiny bit of atmosphere in low Earth orbit, which I believe is better than any vacuum we can produce on Earth [I'm sure somebody will ding me on that; meanwhile I'll try to track down some numbers for comparison] is enough to cause significant drag at orbital speeds.

So the lifetime increases with altitude as the atmospheric density decreases. I found one estimate of lifetimes here:
https://www.spaceacademy.net.au/watch/debris/orblife.htm

##\begin{array}{|l|l|}
\hline \text{Satellite Altitude} & \text{Lifetime} \\
\hline \text{200 km} & \text{ 1 day} \\
\hline \text{300 km} & \text{ 1 month } \\
\hline \text{400 km} & \text{ 1 year } \\
\hline \text{500 km } & \text{ 10 years } \\
\hline \text{700 km } & \text{100 years } \\
\hline \text{900 km } & \text{1000 years } \\
\hline
\end{array}##

Is 1000 years long enough to consider "forever"? Notice that we're only at 900 km in this table, and geosynchronous altitude is 36000 km, so I think it's safe to say that geosynchronous satellites are not in danger of falling.

Likes russ_watters, Jonathan212 and Klystron
Trying to answer the question I raised above (how does "vacuum" in orbit compare to "vacuum" on earth?) led me first to this page:
https://web.archive.org/web/20060513193723/http://modelweb.gsfc.nasa.gov/atmos/jacchia.html

That's an archived version of the official NASA atmosphere model that was used for shuttle missions. Didn't find any data though.
Here's another paper, dated 1982, that has some charts. https://spaceweather.usu.edu/files/chapters_1_3.pdf
According to Figure 3, p. 20, the mass density at 300 km is ##10^{-10}## to ##10^{-11}## kg/m##^3## while at 900 km it's ##10^{-13}## to ##10^{-15}## kg/m##^3##

The best artificial vacuum on this chart appears to be the Molecular Beam Epitaxy at ##10^5## to ##10^7## molecules per cm##^3##. Using 29 gm as the average molecular weight of air I get ##10^5## molecules = about ##5 \times 10^{-15}## kg/m##^3## so actually the very best vacuums these days are comparable to the 900 km atmosphere. (If I did the calculation right). Pretty good.

at 900 km it's 10^-13 to 10^-15 kg/m3

The Avogadro number comes to mind. As in, how many molecules per m3 at moon distance.

RPinPA said:
Even the tiny bit of atmosphere in low Earth orbit, which I believe is better than any vacuum we can produce on Earth [I'm sure somebody will ding me on that;
Well, if you insist. :wink:

It looks like instellar medium is about 10-10mbar and the Large Hadron Collider (LHC) at CERN betters it by a factor of ten at 10-11mbar. But they work REALLY hard at it!

https://home.cern/science/engineering/vacuum-empty-interstellar-space

RPinPA said:
Notice that we're only at 900 km in this table, and geosynchronous altitude is 36000 km, so I think it's safe to say that geosynchronous satellites are not in danger of falling.
Plus the fact that I don’t think geosynchronous satellites would experience any overal “drag” from what little atmosphere they encounter.

There are, of course, some schemes in development to bring down space junk in a controlled way. Every one of those that I’ve seen looks enormously expensive, complicated, and likely to fail. I’ve always thought that the best approach would be to simply give “atmospheric drag” a helping hand. Put a small pocket of atmosphere in the satellite’s path, and make it lose some orbital velocity.

1. What is considered "space debris"?

Space debris refers to any human-made objects in orbit around Earth that no longer serve a functional purpose. This can include old satellites, rocket fragments, and other pieces of equipment.

2. Does all space debris eventually fall back to Earth?

Yes, all orbiting space debris will eventually fall back to Earth. This is due to the Earth's atmosphere, which causes drag on objects in orbit and eventually causes them to lose altitude and re-enter the atmosphere.

3. How long does it take for space debris to fall back to Earth?

The amount of time it takes for space debris to fall back to Earth varies depending on the object's size, shape, and altitude. Small pieces of debris can fall back within a few years, while larger objects can take decades or even centuries to re-enter the atmosphere.

4. What happens to space debris when it falls back to Earth?

When space debris falls back to Earth, it typically burns up in the atmosphere due to the high temperatures and friction. However, larger objects may not completely disintegrate and can potentially cause damage if they land on the Earth's surface.

5. Can we clean up space debris?

Efforts are being made to clean up space debris, but it is a challenging and expensive task. Some proposed methods include using nets or harpoons to capture debris, or using lasers to vaporize small pieces. However, these methods are still in the early stages of development and implementation.