Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Does antimatter (negative matter) have negative mass ?

1. Dec 2, 2011 #1
    Does antimatter (negative matter) have "negative mass"?

If not, why is this so suspected? And could anything theoretically have negative mass?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 2, 2011 #2

I like Serena

Homework Helper

Re: Does antimatter (negative matter) have "negative mass"?

Welcome to PF, easyconcepts! :smile:

Antimatter has opposite charge, not negative mass.
    Indeed mass is guaranteed to be non-negative.
    And the only particle to have "rest-mass" zero is the photon.

4. Dec 2, 2011 #3

Theoretically for something to have negative rest mass must mean it has negative rest energy.

E0=M0*v^2

Therefore when rest mass of M0 < 0, any value for velocity v squared is greater than or equal to 0, since √ -1 = i where i ≠ ℝ.

Anyway, negative mass means in my mind that the mass dimension is negative, thus when affected by gravity (if it would be), since F = ma and F = mg when free-falling under gravity, it would have negative acceleration (deceleration) or negative force (or positive relative to direction). Gravity would seemingly repel rather than absorb the object to the centre of the object.

5. Dec 12, 2011 #4

Antimatter has a positive mass, but reversed charges. Negative matter has a negative mass, but the same charges. Antimatter is known to exist, but negative matter is only hypothesized to exist.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook