B What ways are there for something to lose mass?

• Thread starter MatNX
  • Start date
How can san object lose mass? You can use Antimatter or Fission or Fusion to turn it into energy. Also, one can just cut a piece of the object off. But are there any other ways to remove matter from an object? (Feasable and theoretical)

scottdave

Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
Burning it, some of it will go away as gas products and smoke particles. I'm not sure what you are looking for here.

Burning it, some of it will go away as gas products and smoke particles. I'm not sure what you are looking for here.
Sure, that could work too, but I´'d add that to cutting things off. I just want to know in what ways matter could be "destroyed" or removed from an object.

😄

Planets lose their atmosphere all the time. It just dribbles off in a trail behind us.
Smaller planets lose their atmo faster.
Once you get like Mars, any liquid water is immediately turned to vapor when exposed to the atmosphere, and subsequently leaked behind the planet.
Mars used to have a lot more mass.

Ibix

Science Advisor
Insights Author
In relativity, mass turns out to be the energy content of a body when it is at rest divided by ##c^2##. Any process by which it loses energy (light, heat radiation, heat conduction, etc) reduces its mass a tiny bit. Otherwise I think you are limited to the many and varied ways you can remove a chunk of matter.

russ_watters

Mentor
Sure, that could work too, but I´'d add that to cutting things off. I just want to know in what ways matter could be "destroyed" or removed from an object.
"Remove" and "destroy" are very different things.

--radioactive decay
--hitting it really hard with an axe
--heat it to the point of incandescence

diogenesNY

scottdave

Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
So if we are not talking about matter-antimatter annihilations, then everything else is just matter (mass) moving around (fission or chemical reaction or gasses escaping or "cutting some off"). If you define a system, then mass can move into the system boundary from the surroundings, or mass can leave the system and go to the surroundings.