Does anyone know how I can make a simple formula sheet using latex?

In summary: It just seems like a huge waste of time.In summary, the speaker is looking for a landscape page template with sections and formulas. They have been searching for over an hour but have not found something that works. They would ideally like to label equations, but are willing to do it by hand. They have tried formulasheet.com but found it to be a waste of time. They provide an example template using the geometry package and two columns, as well as a custom command for equations. They suggest trying formulasheet.com, but also provide their own template as an option.
richyw
So what I would like to have is a landscape page, with a few sections, and then a lot of formulas in each section. I have been googling for over an hour and have not found something that works.

Ideally I would like to be able to label some equations as well, but I could always just do that by hand on my final draft.

I have tried formulasheet.com and it just seems like a huge waste of time. Basically what I want is a template that someone else has made than I can just fire off the formulas and be done!

Physics news on Phys.org
PS I am a total rookie with latex. I can type formulas and other basic stuff like adding pictures and tables and whatnot. That's about it.

Perhaps something like this? The key thing is that I use the geometry package to make a landscape page, and I also used two columns (see \documentclass). \amssymb is not needed for this document but might be depending on what kind of symbols you want to write.

Let me know if there is something you don't understand. The \eq{} environment is for example something I defined in this document and not a standard environment for math. If you want unnumbered equations, just change from \begin{align} to \begin{align*} in the definition of \eq{}.

Code:
\documentclass[11pt, twocolumn]{article}
\usepackage[landscape]{geometry}   
\usepackage{graphicx}
\usepackage{amsmath}
%\usepackage{amssymb}

%%%%% DEFINITION OF NEW COMMANDS %%%%%
\newcommand{\eq}[1]{\begin{align}#1\end{align}}

\title{Sheet of formulae}
\author{The Author}
%\date{}	% Activate to display a given date or no date

\begin{document}
\maketitle
\section{Formulas for section 1}
\eq{E=mc^2}
\eq{(\partial^2+m^2)\phi(x)=0}
\eq{\vdots}

\section{Formulas for section 2}

\eq{E=mc^2}
\eq{\vdots}

\section{Formulas for section 3}

\eq{E=mc^2}
\eq{\vdots}

\end{document}

If I were you, I would try formulasheet.com.

I understand the importance of having a well-organized and efficient formula sheet for your work. LaTeX is a popular typesetting language that is commonly used in scientific and mathematical documents, and it is a great tool for creating formula sheets.

To create a simple formula sheet using LaTeX, you can start by creating a new document in your LaTeX editor. You can then use the landscape option to change the orientation of the page and create a larger space for your formulas.

Next, you can use the \section command to create different sections for your formulas. Within each section, you can use the \equation command to display your formulas. You can also use the \label command to label your equations and reference them later in your document.

If you are having trouble finding a pre-made template, you can also create your own template by defining the layout and formatting options that you prefer. This can be done by using the \usepackage command and specifying the desired packages and settings.

In summary, creating a simple formula sheet using LaTeX can be achieved by using the landscape option, creating sections, and using the \equation and \label commands. With some practice and experimentation, you can create a personalized and efficient formula sheet for your needs.

1. Can you explain what LaTeX is and how it differs from other document editing software?

LaTeX is a typesetting language designed for creating high-quality documents, particularly in fields like mathematics, science, and technology. It differs from other document editing software in that it uses a markup-based approach, where the user types commands to format the document, rather than using a graphical user interface.

2. Is LaTeX difficult to learn and use?

While there is a learning curve involved in using LaTeX, once you become familiar with the syntax and commands, it can be a very efficient and powerful tool for creating documents. There are also many online resources and guides available to help beginners get started.

3. How can I create a formula sheet using LaTeX?

To create a formula sheet using LaTeX, you can use the "equation" environment to display mathematical equations and the "align" environment to align multiple equations. You can also use the "tabular" environment to create tables for organizing your formulas. Additionally, you can use the "amsmath" package to access more advanced math formatting options.

4. Can I include graphics and diagrams in a LaTeX formula sheet?

Yes, you can include graphics and diagrams in your formula sheet by using the "graphicx" package and the "includegraphics" command. This allows you to insert images from external files or create diagrams using LaTeX commands.

5. Are there any templates or examples I can use for creating a formula sheet in LaTeX?

Yes, there are many templates and examples available online for creating formula sheets in LaTeX. You can also find templates specifically designed for different subjects, such as physics or chemistry. These templates can serve as a helpful starting point for creating your own formula sheet.