What happens to extra credits when transferring universities with a 60 credit limit?

  • Thread starter Thread starter flyingpig
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 3K views
flyingpig
Messages
2,574
Reaction score
1
Planning on transferring next year because I realize when I get to 3rd year I will have run out of courses I want to take at my university (it's small).

Now comes the problem, the universities I want to transfer only allow a reasonable of 60 credits transfer.

So what happens to the bonus courses I take? Do I have to take them again at the new university?

Do universities allow people to transfer only 2nd or 3rd year courses and pretend the 1st year courses haev been met...? Or is that cheating?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
It really depends on the university.

They will use what qualifies for requirements for your degree. The problem you will run into is what counts as second and third year courses to them.

My experience is they only "accepted" 60 credit hours, but a lot of the credit hours didn't count towards my actual degree.
 
um it depends on the school. Normally, they will take whatever credits are applicable to your degree and toss out the credits that do not apply. Normally your first 2 years will be a bunch of general education classes that is equivalent to an 2 year degree at a community college. Most credits should transfer. The school will pick out which applies and which do not. Also, their credit system can be different also. For example, your current school could be quarter based and a typical full class might be 5 credits. Well the school your transferring to might be semester based and the 5 credit course that your are transferring might be the equivalent to a 3 credit course there. When the new school handles your transcripts the credits will be converted as well. Thats the way it was for me. I had like 90+ credits (quarter based college) and when I transferred (semester college), all the credits that I obtained were transferred no problem. However, many schools are very picky with university level classes 300+ level classes. I know at my university almost all my university level courses must be taken there. In other words I can't complete 90% of my bachelors, transfer to a new school and take the remaining courses and expect them to give me a degree from their school. This is typical. Anyways, I think you'll be fine.
 
Nah I am just switching campuses, so there shouldn't be a problem with "hours"
 
flyingpig said:
Nah I am just switching campuses, so there shouldn't be a problem with "hours"

Best of luck finishing your degree then!