Does anyone know what happens to the extra credit you take if you transfer?

• Thread starter flyingpig
  • Start date
In summary, transferring next year will allow the person to finish their degree at a different university. However, they will have to take courses at the new university that are equivalent to the 1st and 2nd year courses at their original university.
flyingpig
Planning on transferring next year because I realize when I get to 3rd year I will have run out of courses I want to take at my university (it's small).

Now comes the problem, the universities I want to transfer only allow a reasonable of 60 credits transfer.

So what happens to the bonus courses I take? Do I have to take them again at the new university?

Do universities allow people to transfer only 2nd or 3rd year courses and pretend the 1st year courses haev been met...? Or is that cheating?

Physics news on Phys.org
It really depends on the university.

They will use what qualifies for requirements for your degree. The problem you will run into is what counts as second and third year courses to them.

My experience is they only "accepted" 60 credit hours, but a lot of the credit hours didn't count towards my actual degree.

um it depends on the school. Normally, they will take whatever credits are applicable to your degree and toss out the credits that do not apply. Normally your first 2 years will be a bunch of general education classes that is equivalent to an 2 year degree at a community college. Most credits should transfer. The school will pick out which applies and which do not. Also, their credit system can be different also. For example, your current school could be quarter based and a typical full class might be 5 credits. Well the school your transferring to might be semester based and the 5 credit course that your are transferring might be the equivalent to a 3 credit course there. When the new school handles your transcripts the credits will be converted as well. Thats the way it was for me. I had like 90+ credits (quarter based college) and when I transferred (semester college), all the credits that I obtained were transferred no problem. However, many schools are very picky with university level classes 300+ level classes. I know at my university almost all my university level courses must be taken there. In other words I can't complete 90% of my bachelors, transfer to a new school and take the remaining courses and expect them to give me a degree from their school. This is typical. Anyways, I think you'll be fine.

Nah I am just switching campuses, so there shouldn't be a problem with "hours"

flyingpig said:
Nah I am just switching campuses, so there shouldn't be a problem with "hours"

Best of luck finishing your degree then!

1. What happens to the extra credit I earned at my previous school if I transfer to a new school?

This depends on the policies of the new school. Some schools may accept and transfer the extra credit, while others may not. It is best to contact the new school's admissions office or academic advisor for more information.

2. Is there a limit to the amount of extra credit that can be transferred?

Again, this varies by school. Some schools may have a maximum limit on the amount of extra credit that can be transferred, while others may not have any restrictions. It is important to check with the new school to determine their policies.

3. Can I transfer extra credit from a non-accredited institution?

Typically, only credits from accredited institutions are eligible for transfer. However, some schools may have exceptions or alternative methods for evaluating non-accredited credits. It is best to check with the new school for their specific policies.

4. How will my extra credit affect my GPA after transferring?

The impact of transferred extra credit on your GPA will depend on the grading system and policies of the new school. Some schools may include the transferred credits in the overall GPA calculation, while others may not. It is important to check with the new school for their specific policies.

5. Can I receive extra credit for courses I took at my previous school if they are not offered at the new school?

It is possible that a new school may have equivalent courses that can be substituted for the ones taken at the previous school, which may result in receiving extra credit. However, this will depend on the new school's policies and the evaluation of the course content. It is best to speak with the new school's academic advisor for more information.