Does commutativity imply associativity?

• Thread starter azure kitsune
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the relationship between commutativity and associativity in binary operations and seeks examples to understand it better. The participants also mention the game of rock paper scissors and how it can be used to understand binary operations. Finally, a personal experience with calculating average grades is shared as an example.
azure kitsune
Hi everyone,

Lately, I've been wondering whether commutativity implies associativity or not. (It's really hard for me to pay attention in my Calculus BC class.) I've never seen an example of a binary operation that is commutative but not associative. It seems intuitively true to me, but I don't know how to prove it (so maybe it's not true?). I also can't find anything on the web about this.

Can anyone help? Thanks!

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Given ab = bc for all a, b, can you prove (ab)c = a(bc) for all a, b, c? Manipulate these equations for a while.

To think of examples, try defining specific binary operations on small sets like {0, 1}.

For an answer that's sort of intuitive, search Wikipedia for "commutative non-associative magma".

Never played rock paper scissors?
R=rock
P=paper
S=scissors

RR=R
RP=P
RS=S
PP=P
PS=S
PR=P
SS=S
SP=S
SR=R

obviously
XY=YX
(XY)Z!=X(YZ)

ie
(RP)S=PS=S
R(PS)=RS=R

Thanks for the answers. :) It never came across me to define an operation myself but that rock paper scissors example really helped. (Algebra seems so much more complicated now!)

lurflurf said:
Never played rock paper scissors?
R=rock
P=paper
S=scissors

RR=R
RP=P
RS=R
PP=P
PS=S
PR=P
SS=S
SP=S
SR=R

obviously
XY=YX
(XY)Z!=X(YZ)

ie
(RP)S=PS=S
R(PS)=RS=R

[corected I had RS=S before clearly false]

When I was still in school I wanted to (falsely) calculate my average grade in math as following:

First method
I wrote three exams with marks 1,2 and 4. I would take the average of 1 and 2, so I got a 1.5. Then I would take 1.5 and form the average with 4:

(1+2)/2 = 1.5
(1.5+4)/2 = 2.75Second method
However, had I taken another order the result was different:
I would take 2 and 4 and form the average, so I got a 3. Then I would take 3 and form the average with 1:

(2+4)/2 = 3
(3+1)/2 = 2

I wondered why I had two different results.

Anyways, take the binary operation a°b = (a+b)/2.

1. What is commutativity and associativity?

Commutativity refers to the property of an operation where the order of the operands does not affect the result. For example, addition is commutative, as 2+3 gives the same result as 3+2. Associativity, on the other hand, refers to the property of an operation where the grouping of the operands does not affect the result. For example, (2+3)+4 gives the same result as 2+(3+4).

2. Does commutativity imply associativity?

No, commutativity and associativity are two distinct properties of an operation. Just because an operation is commutative does not necessarily mean it is also associative. For example, multiplication is commutative but not associative.

3. Can an operation be both commutative and associative?

Yes, an operation can have both properties. Addition and multiplication are both examples of operations that are both commutative and associative.

4. How are commutativity and associativity related?

While they are not the same property, commutativity and associativity are related in that both properties allow for a certain level of flexibility in the order of operations. However, associativity allows for more flexibility as it does not only apply to the order of operands, but also to the grouping of operands.

5. Why are commutativity and associativity important in mathematics?

Commutativity and associativity are important properties in mathematics because they allow for simplification of calculations and provide a deeper understanding of the underlying structure of operations. These properties also allow for easier manipulation of equations and expressions, making problem-solving more efficient.