Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Does cooked meat aroma cause specific physiological response?

1. Jun 27, 2015 #1
    I have been exploring (with limited success) if/how the smell of cooking meat produces known physiological responses (beyond Povlov's behavioral conditioning/salivation, but rather what known components actually trigger the response). Looking for some expertise in biology to get me on the right path. I have come across some articles regarding known components (over 600) in the aroma but they are centered around opinion based "appealing odors". Found this forum in a search which found "dogs afraid of the aroma of cooked lamb" but it was filled with theories on added spices. I suspect more to evolution on this and want to find any/all information from the biology side (outside my expertise) regarding any known human responses to the odor (or airborne chemical) from cooking meats. I suspect that the fats play a primary role in activating people (neural triggers, taste activation from odors, etc.). Any insight is appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 30, 2015 #2

jim mcnamara

Staff: Mentor

I think what you want may be the Maillard reaction. Looking at this in a simple way: carbohydrates and protein when exposed to dry temperature cooking, above about ~305F, with available air, oxidize. The end product is the brown coating on bread and fried or roasted meat. These are called advanced glycation end products

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Advanced_glycation_end-product

You may want to follow up on these.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook