Does Energy Exist? | Answer Here

• Thread starter Flabbyflab
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Energy
In summary: Energy is not a physical object but rather a mathematical concept used to describe the behavior of particles. Fire can be created and destroyed, but energy will always exist in some form.
Flabbyflab
Hello, I am having a dispute with my friend on whether fire exists. We have established that fire is energy, but I need to know whether energy "exists". Please, if you can answer this, I need a descriptive response before he will accept it. Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, energy exists. There's nothing that's "pure energy," as energy itself is a mathmatical construct we use to discuss the nature of and transferrence of various aspects of quarks and leptons (matter) and gluons, W&Z bosons, photons, and gravitons (force carriers).

But yes, within the Standard Model, there are several different forms of energy, and we can both translate between those forms, as well as convert the elementary particles between those forms.

Energy most certainly exists.

This is the same dumb question that so-called philosophers have been asking for thousands of years.
Basically it comes down to semantics - how you define the word 'exist'.

Why should anyone waste their time discussing such things?

Set him on fire and ask him why he's yelling.

Flabbyflab said:
Hello, I am having a dispute with my friend on whether fire exists. We have established that fire is energy, but I need to know whether energy "exists". Please, if you can answer this, I need a descriptive response before he will accept it. Thank you!
Yes, energy exists. Fire is not energy, it is a cloud of hot particles that have energy.

1. What is energy?

Energy is a physical quantity that describes the ability or capacity of a system to do work. It can also be defined as the property that must be transferred to an object in order to perform work on or heat the object.

2. How do we know that energy exists?

Energy can be observed and measured in various forms, such as kinetic energy (energy of motion), potential energy (stored energy), thermal energy (heat), and electromagnetic energy (light). These forms of energy can be seen and their effects can be measured through experiments and observations.

3. Is energy a tangible substance?

No, energy itself is not a substance or material. It is a property that is present in all physical systems and can be transferred between different objects or systems, but it is not something that can be held or touched.

4. Can energy be created or destroyed?

According to the law of conservation of energy, energy cannot be created or destroyed. It can only be transformed from one form to another. This means that the total amount of energy in a closed system remains constant over time.

5. How is energy measured?

The SI unit for energy is the joule (J), which is defined as the amount of energy required to exert a force of one newton over a distance of one meter. Other common units for energy include calories, kilowatt-hours, and electronvolts.