Does Linkage Matter in a Cross of Truebreeding Recessives?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 3K views
Yann
Messages
48
Reaction score
0
Just a simple question, if I got two genes with 2 recessive mutants, let say the wildtype A and B with mutants a and b. And I cross truebreeding mutants (AA bb, aa BB), linkage, in this situation, doesn't matter, I'll get Aa Bb anyway, am I right ?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Can you clarify your question, I'm not sure what you are asking.
 
I agree, Yan.

Tag the alleles as maternal (M) or paternal (P) chromosome. Then write the tags with the alleles: AM AP bM bP

If no crossover occurs (or an even number of crossovers occur) between A and b, you get a gamete with AM bM and a gamete with AP bP.

If crossover occurs (or an odd number of crossovers occur) between A and B, you get a gamete with AM bP and another with AP bM.

Those are still Ab. The same argument holds for the other double-homozygous parent, so your conclusion is correct, you get the double heterozygote and the degree of linkage won't change that.