Does math get more interesting after Calc II?

• Thread starter NotGauss
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Interesting
In summary: Definitely check out Math 1001 by Elwes - it's a great resource!Thanks for your input!In summary, Jonathan finds calculus mundane and not as exciting as it could be. He recommends Math 1001 by Elwes as a great resource for finding areas of interest in calculus.
NotGauss
Hello all!
I am currently taking a six week Calc II w/ Analytical Geometry and will be taking Vector Calculus in a few weeks, also six week course. I am a math major and I love math, but I find calculus a tad on the boring side. We just started infinite series this week, a little more interesting but not yet on the edge of my chair. So my two questions are; 1) Was there a math class that just blew your mind or really got you going with math? 2) Any ideas to help keep me interested?

While I am "enjoying" Calculus, at this point it just seems mundane. Learn this rule, apply this rule, here is another rule, apply it and I'll give you another! I understand that it is building up a base of knowledge but is there anything exciting in the future? When do i get to use my own analytical power, problem solving capabilities or dare I say...creativity?

Thanks for your time and help,
Jonathan

Mathematics news on Phys.org
I enjoyed tensor analysis which is one step beyond vector calculus a lot as it gave me the tools to learn General Relativity. The vector calc stuff is used in E&M and in fluid flow so if you like applied math then you should enjoy that and then there's the Millennial problem dealing with the Navier Stokes equation.

Mathwise though you might like mathematical origami a combination of geometry and other maths. There's a video on youtube "Beyond the Folds" that touches on Prof Eric Demaine's work and Prof Robert Lang's work. One such problem is the classic trisecting the angle and doubling the cube can be computed using origami folds.

Lastly, there's a popular book called Math 1001 by Prof Elwes that surveys many math topics so you could use it as a kind of catalog to find and area of interest.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/1554077192/?tag=pfamazon01-20

Yes, calculus is boring. Especially when they teach it like you said. More interesting is when you will actually prove all these rules from scratch. This is what you'll do in analysis. If you're having a lot of free time, then you can try to work through Spivak and Apostol for more exciting views of calculus.

Likes symbolipoint
OK, thanks for the input!

Sure it does! The more you know the more you can learn and the more you start discovering :) Discovery is always fun

1. Is it necessary to take Calc II in order to understand more advanced math topics?

Yes, Calc II is a foundational course that introduces important concepts such as integration techniques, series, and sequences. These concepts are used extensively in higher level math courses such as multivariable calculus, linear algebra, and differential equations.

2. What makes Calc II more challenging compared to other math courses?

Calc II covers a wide range of topics, including integration by parts, trigonometric substitutions, and convergence and divergence of series. These concepts require a strong understanding of algebra and geometry, and often require multiple steps to solve problems.

3. Does Calc II involve more real-world applications compared to other math courses?

Yes, Calc II often involves real-world applications such as finding areas and volumes of 3D shapes, calculating work and fluid pressure, and determining the growth rate of populations. These applications help students see the relevance of math in everyday life.

4. Are there any tips for succeeding in Calc II?

Practice, practice, practice! Calc II requires a lot of practice to fully understand the concepts and master problem-solving techniques. It's also important to ask questions and seek help when needed, as well as staying organized and keeping up with the material.

5. Will I use the concepts learned in Calc II in my future career?

It depends on your career path. For those pursuing a career in science, engineering, or mathematics, many of the concepts learned in Calc II will be used extensively. However, even for those in other fields, the problem-solving and critical thinking skills developed in Calc II can be applied in a variety of contexts.