Is it normal for a math student to dislike computational math?

In summary, the conversation discusses the speaker's struggle with reviewing high school and elementary calculus courses. They feel complacent about reviewing material they haven't touched in a while, but also feel compelled to review based on online tutoring examinations. However, they find practicing problems from textbooks to be repetitive and pointless, and using a calculator would defeat the purpose of reviewing. They believe the focus should be on understanding the material rather than repetitive calculations.
Eclair_de_XII
I know I'm not very good in abstract math, but it still feels more challenging and less mundane than the high school and elementary calculus courses I have been trying to bring myself to review nowadays.

Part of me feels complacent about the idea of reviewing stuff I've not touched in quite some time. That part feels like review is unnecessary. On the other hand, I took some online tutoring examinations that suggest that I am not as familiar with the subjects as the site would expect of potential applicants; this is part of the reason why I feel compelled to review.

Even so, practicing problems from textbooks whose contents I am either familiar with or have never needed to use after taking the course still feels mundane and slightly pointless. It feels repetitive, like I'm just doing the same exact problem over again except with different numbers. Although, admittedly, I have not actually done any word problems that would actually test my understanding of the material.

Physics news on Phys.org
For repetitive calculations why don't you use a computer?

The point is to practice material that I might have forgotten, or material that I think would be easy, but would be harder than I had initially foreseen. So naturally, the use of a calculator would be counter-intuitive to reviewing my undergraduate material. I mean, unless your meaning is to write algorithms in code in order to solve these problems.

• Skeptical
Likes PeroK
You should certainly know how to do calculations from your previous classes (and understand why they work), but I don't think working out many nearly identical problems is a good use of time.

Likes Eclair_de_XII

1. Is it common for math students to dislike computational math?

Yes, it is not uncommon for math students to dislike computational math. This type of math involves a lot of repetitive calculations, which can be tedious and uninteresting for some students.

2. What are some reasons why a math student might dislike computational math?

There are a few reasons why a math student might dislike computational math. Some students may find it too repetitive and not engaging enough, while others may struggle with the abstract concepts and algorithms involved.

3. Can disliking computational math affect a student's overall math performance?

Disliking computational math may not necessarily affect a student's overall math performance. However, if a student's dislike for this type of math leads to a lack of practice and understanding, it can potentially impact their performance in other areas of math that require computational skills.

4. Are there any alternative methods for teaching computational math to students who dislike it?

Yes, there are alternative methods for teaching computational math to students who dislike it. Some teachers use real-world examples and applications to make the math more relevant and interesting to students. Others incorporate technology, such as calculators or computer programs, to make the calculations less tedious.

5. Should a math student who dislikes computational math avoid pursuing a career in a math-related field?

No, disliking computational math does not necessarily mean that a student should avoid pursuing a career in a math-related field. There are many areas of math that do not heavily rely on computational skills, such as statistics or theoretical mathematics. Additionally, a dislike for one aspect of math does not necessarily reflect a student's overall aptitude for the subject.