Does michio kaku hate leonard susskind?

• Thread starter robertjford80
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Michio kaku
In summary, during a conversation about Kaku's book "Beyond Einstein" and the beginning of string theory, it was noted that Kaku did not mention Susskind, who was instrumental in its foundation. It was suggested that Kaku may not have understood Susskind's work or may have a different level of understanding. However, it was pointed out that Kaku has authored graduate-level textbooks on the subject and has referenced Susskind in his work. It was also mentioned that other authors, such as Brian Greene, have referenced Susskind in their work while others, like Zwiebach, have not. Finally, it was noted that Kaku has referenced Susskind in his notes on page 205 of "Beyond Einstein
robertjford80
i was reading kaku's book beyond einstein and he kept talking about the beginning of string theory and we all know that susskind was instrumental in its foundation back in 70 yet kaku never mentioned him. he had numerous times to mention susskind but never did throughout the whole book.

Physics news on Phys.org

robertjford80 said:
i was reading kaku's book beyond einstein and he kept talking about the beginning of string theory and we all know that susskind was instrumental in its foundation back in 70 yet kaku never mentioned him. he had numerous times to mention susskind but never did throughout the whole book.
i believe he didn't understand what suss wrote, his level and suss'level seems too far different, aren't they ?

i can't read technical papers on string theory, can you?

robertjford80 said:
i can't read technical papers on string theory, can you?
I know what most of the words and math symbols mean, taken one at a time. But that doesn't help much when you get to the string theory equivalent of Chomsky's "colorless green ideas sleep furionsly".

In the index to Brian Greene's 'The Elegant Universe', there are 5 references to Professor Susskind. In the index to Zwiebach's 'A First Course in String Theory', there is no mention. There is only one possible explanation for these data. Greene loves Susskind, while Kaku and Zwiebach hate him.

Jimmy Snyder said:
In the index to Brian Greene's 'The Elegant Universe', there are 5 references to Professor Susskind. In the index to Zwiebach's 'A First Course in String Theory', there is no mention. There is only one possible explanation for these data. Greene loves Susskind, while Kaku and Zwiebach hate him.

Hard to argue with logic like that!

Jimmy Snyder said:
In the index to Zwiebach's 'A First Course in String Theory', there is no mention.

In his list of references, Zwiebach includes at least four references to stuff by Susskind, three technical and one popular-level.

George Jones said:
In his list of references, Zwiebach includes at least four references to stuff by Susskind, three technical and one popular-level.
This is disturbing news. I would say Kaku stands alone in his hatred of Susskind. Pending a report on the list of references in Beyond Einstein of course.

robertjford80 said:
no, what do these books imply about kaku?

That underneath his pop sci facade he has the technical ability to understand Suss and that they are not on different levels.

George Jones said:

So it means Greene's love is more deep than Zwiebach's. Who is Susskind in love with?

Maybe he just hates Stanford.

'Getting back to the OP,
robertjford80 said:

Check out page 205 of Beyond Einstein (in the notes). It says,

"An earlier, cruder version of superstring theory, based on strips, was proposed by Leonard Susskind, then at Yeshiva University in New York, and H.B. Nielsen of the Neils Bohr Institute in Copenhagen as well as by Nambu himself."​

collinsmark said:
Check out page 205 of Beyond Einstein (in the notes). It says,
"An earlier, cruder version of superstring theory, based on strips, was proposed by Leonard Susskind, then at Yeshiva University in New York, and H.B. Nielsen of the Neils Bohr Institute in Copenhagen as well as by Nambu himself."
Everyone loves Leonard.

genericusrnme said:
Oh wow, I had no idea kaku had actually authored a textbook..
I thought he was just one of those average pop sci misinformers :blushing:
Read his QFT text. You may go back to your original hypothesis.

Jimmy Snyder said:
Read his QFT text. You may go back to your original hypothesis.

If I find a copy of it lying about I'll be sure to pick it up :rolleyes:

1. Why do people think Michio Kaku hates Leonard Susskind?

There are a few reasons why some people may think Michio Kaku hates Leonard Susskind. One reason is that they have different views on the concept of string theory, which has led to public debates and disagreements between the two scientists. Another reason is that Kaku has made critical comments about Susskind's work, which some interpret as hostility.

2. Is there any evidence to support the idea that Michio Kaku hates Leonard Susskind?

There is no solid evidence to suggest that Michio Kaku hates Leonard Susskind. While they may have differences in their scientific views, there is no personal animosity between them. Both scientists have publicly stated that they have respect for each other's work and contributions to the field of physics.

3. Have Michio Kaku and Leonard Susskind ever collaborated on any projects?

Yes, Michio Kaku and Leonard Susskind have collaborated on several projects, including the development of string field theory. While they may not always see eye to eye on certain aspects of physics, they have worked together to advance the field and have a professional relationship.

4. Are Michio Kaku and Leonard Susskind still friends or have they had a falling out?

Much like any colleagues in a highly competitive field, Michio Kaku and Leonard Susskind have had disagreements and debates about their ideas. However, there is no evidence to suggest that they have had a falling out or are no longer friends. In fact, they have both expressed admiration for each other's work and continue to collaborate on projects.

5. How do other scientists view the relationship between Michio Kaku and Leonard Susskind?

The views among other scientists about the relationship between Michio Kaku and Leonard Susskind are mixed. Some see them as having a healthy and productive professional relationship, while others may view them as having a bit of friendly competition. Overall, their disagreements and debates have not affected their reputation or contributions to the field of physics as individuals or as a team.