Does Music Extra Curriculars Impact Grad School Scholarships/Aid?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 3K views
metalrose
Messages
112
Reaction score
0
Do professional and recognized qualifications in extra curricular activities like music have any affect on scholarships/aid when applying for a Ph.D. in grad. school?

I know Ph.D. is a far serious business and extra curriculars may not be that important, but achievements in such activities do matter for undergrad. admissions.

Do they matter to any extent in grad. school too?
 
Physics news on Phys.org


Generally no. Extra-cirricular activies that do not relate to your proposed field of study are given very little, if any weight, in the graduate school admissions process.

That being said, there are a lot of memorial-like scholarships out there granted to "the top graduate student in his or her second year, who has completed grade 8 piano and flies hang-gliders."
 


I would have been much more definite that they have absolutely no influence whatsoever, but I have to admit that Choppy has a point about targetted scholarships.

But other than that, if anything, proficiency in music means that you are going to want time out of the lab to practice...
 


metalrose said:
Do professional and recognized qualifications in extra curricular activities like music have any affect on scholarships/aid when applying for a Ph.D. in grad. school?

Funding for graduate school is very field dependent. For physics and math Ph.D. programs, every graduate school that I know of will fund you with research/teaching assistance.

I know Ph.D. is a far serious business and extra curriculars may not be that important, but achievements in such activities do matter for undergrad. admissions. Do they matter to any extent in grad. school too?

Not really for science and math. Other fields have wildly different funding structures.