Does n² has all the factors n has? How can I be sure?

• Thread starter MonkeyKid
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Factors
In summary, the conversation discusses the relationship between factors and prime factors, with one person mentioning a method for determining factors of a number and the other person correcting a mistake about prime factors. They also express their growing appreciation for math.
MonkeyKid
First of all, pardon me for my poor English, which is even worse for mathematics.

As an answer to my question, I think it does have all the factors n has. But I can't write mathematical proof of it, and so I can't make that statement. It's probably easy. I can write that in the opposite direction though:

let a, b, c, ..., z be the factors of N:

(a * b * c * ... * z) = N

then

(a * b * c * ... * z)² = N²
(pretty simple thinking)

but I can't write that in the other direction... I mean, beginning with N² and it's factors, conclude that it has at least all the factors N has.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Well, let's write ##N = a_1 a_2 \ldots a_n## and choose any factor, say ##a_1##. Then ##N^2 = (a_1 a_2 \ldots a_n)(a_1 a_2 \ldots a_n) = a_1*X## where ##X = (a_2 a_3 \ldots a_n)*N##. Therefore ##a_1## is a factor of ##N^2##.

[edited] to use better notation

Last edited:
jbunniii said:
Well, let's write ##N = a_1 a_2 \ldots a_n## and choose any factor, say ##a_1##. Then ##N^2 = (a_1 a_2 \ldots a_n)(a_1 a_2 \ldots a_n) = a_1*X## where ##X = (a_2 a_3 \ldots a_n)*N##. Therefore ##a_1## is a factor of ##N^2##.

[edited] to use better notation

Thank you, it took me a while to understand, because I forgot I was talking about prime factors. In fact I was, and the title should be different. My mistake. I'm glad you saw through it. That's a neat explanation by the way. I like math more and more with each passing day.

1. Does n² have all the factors that n has?

Yes, n² does have all the factors that n has. This is because when we square a number, we are essentially multiplying it by itself. Therefore, all the factors that existed in n will also exist in n².

2. Is there a way to prove that n² has all the factors n has?

Yes, there are a few ways to prove this. One method is to list out all the factors of n and then square each factor to see if it exists in n². Another method is to use prime factorization to show that the prime factors of n will also be present in n².

3. Can you provide an example to illustrate this concept?

Sure, let's take the number 8. The factors of 8 are 1, 2, 4, and 8. When we square 8, we get 64, and the factors of 64 are 1, 2, 4, 8, 16, 32, and 64. As you can see, all the factors of 8 are also present in 64.

4. Does this concept apply to all numbers or only specific ones?

This concept applies to all numbers. Whether a number is even or odd, prime or composite, its square will always have all the factors that it has. This is a fundamental property of multiplication and cannot be altered.

5. How does this concept relate to mathematical theories or principles?

This concept relates to various mathematical theories and principles such as divisibility rules, prime factorization, and the fundamental theorem of arithmetic. It is also a fundamental concept in algebra and number theory.