Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Does natural iron have a denser nucleous then lab made iron?

1. Jun 28, 2012 #1
    I've heard Iron has the most condensed nucleous out of all the elements, and I asume it is due to the enormous amount of pressure in a stars core just before the end of its life. My question is if we made iron in a lab, would its nucleous be just as condensed as natural iron or would it be slightly less?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 28, 2012 #2

Integral

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Since we define an element by the number of nucleons present, and all protons have the same mass as do all neutrons a nucleus of an iron atom must have the same mass irregardless of how it is formed.

4. Jun 28, 2012 #3

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

You can say even more: Man-made iron nuclei (with the right number of neutrons) are indistinguishable from iron nuclei produced in star. They is no way to see a difference, no matter how advanced the experiment is.

It has the highest binding energy per nucleon.

This is not sufficient to explain the formation of iron (and a high pressure would prefer even heavier atoms). However, pressure is required to get fusion processes in stars.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook