Does NH4F dissolve to favor products or reactants in water?

  • Thread starter Thread starter ghostanime2001
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
33 replies · 6K views
Why would they give me such a question that doesn't fit with the method they want me to use ? and that question seems fishy to me because there is no product acid only the reactant acid (water) unless they assumed something that makes the answer turn out to be inequality. And that assumption they think I should know which I really really really really don't know. I've tried and tried until my personality split and still cannot figure out how they came up with answer like that.

if there is anyone else on this forum that knows why the answer is an inequality then please help me with it. Your help is greatly appreciated but I am still not going to leave this question alone. And one thing I still can't figure out is how did they come up with answer as large as to the magnitude of 22 !

Nothing makes sense to me with that question.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
As mentioned before, this question is more than just acid-base equlibria. Take into account that Mg(OH)2 has a low Ksp as well, so consider its solubility equilibria.

I'm not sure how they got that number, but you can imagine that it'll be huge. Any OH- produced will precipitate out, lowering OH- concentration and driving the reaction forward to a virtual completion.
 
Has anyone come across a question like this?