Does Photons bouce off eachother

• Thread starter bassplayer142
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Photons
In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of photons bouncing off each other and potentially causing interference in the double-slit experiment. It also brings up QED (quantum electrodynamics) and its role in this phenomenon. However, it is noted that even if photon interactions were strong, they would not explain the interference pattern in the double-slit experiment.
bassplayer142
Does a photon bounce off another photon. Say you had hundreds of watts of laser photons shooting in one direction. Then in the other direction a few stray photons. Will they get deflected off to the side or backwards? If so, then it would explain why the double slit experiment would work. That the photons are constantly bumping into each other and going separate ways. That is unless they are not deflected in the up and down axis though.

Physics news on Phys.org
bassplayer142 said:
Does a photon bounce off another photon. Say you had hundreds of watts of laser photons shooting in one direction. Then in the other direction a few stray photons. Will they get deflected off to the side or backwards? If so, then it would explain why the double slit experiment would work. That the photons are constantly bumping into each other and going separate ways. That is unless they are not deflected in the up and down axis though.

The interaction of visible spectrum photons is predicted in QED. However, it is a very weak 4-th order effect, which has not been observed yet, as far as I know. Even if this interaction was strong, it could not be used to explain the double-slit experiment, because the interference pattern exists even when photons are released one-by-one, and do not have a chance to interact with each other.

Eugene.

Ok, so I've tried several times already, but can't seem to figure out what QED stands for. I'd guess the Q is quantum, but that's as far as I get. Can someone help me please? Thanks.

Besides that the double-slit works with individual photons at a time, I don't see how this collision effect could play a large role. It simply doesn't seem to create or imply an interference pattern (wave interference), at least as far as I can see.

A possibly interesting point is this then: a photon bouncing off another should count as detection, right? So if the photons were hitting a lot, wouldn't they seemingly lose their wave-like properties, and thus not form as strong an interference pattern if many photons were shot simultaneously?

ganstaman said:
Ok, so I've tried several times already, but can't seem to figure out what QED stands for. I'd guess the Q is quantum, but that's as far as I get. Can someone help me please? Thanks.

QED = quantum electrodynamics

Eugene.

ganstaman said:

I select the word in the text, right-click, and choose "Search Dictionary for QED..." and that opens this page in another tab.

Very handy for all my reading! Paper just cannot compare.

1. Do photons actually bounce off each other?

Yes, photons are able to scatter or reflect off each other. However, this is a very rare occurrence and typically only happens under very specific conditions.

2. How do photons interact with each other?

Photons interact with each other through a process called electromagnetic scattering, where they can either collide and bounce off each other or pass by each other and change direction due to their electric and magnetic fields.

3. Can photons collide and produce new particles?

Yes, when two photons collide, there is a small chance that they can produce new particles such as an electron and positron pair. This is known as pair production and is an important process in particle physics.

4. Is it possible for photons to pass through each other?

Yes, in most cases, photons do not interact with each other and can pass through each other without any interaction. This is because they do not have an electric charge and are not affected by each other's electric and magnetic fields.

5. Can photons bounce off each other in a vacuum?

Yes, photons can bounce off each other in a vacuum. In fact, this is more likely to occur in a vacuum since there are no other particles or materials present to absorb or scatter the photons' energy.