Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Does robotics follow the laws of physics?

1. Jan 10, 2014 #1
    Im planning to build a robot and wondering if laws of physics are present!

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 10, 2014 #2
    Yes, the laws of physics are present. The real question is, are you going to have to worry about them when you're designing the robot?

The answer to that question is... it depends. A lot. You might need no physics at all, or you might need a lot of physics. We need more information to be able to help you.

What sort of background are you coming from? (middle school, high school, undergrad degree,... ?)
    What type of robot do you want to build?
    Why are you building it?

4. Jan 10, 2014 #3
    So I come in a high school background. I'm currently in 11th grade taking AP Physics and it is Awesome! I want to build this robot because of personal accomplishment and for résumé. I want the robot to have the capabilities such as sensors and interactions with different objects.

5. Jan 10, 2014 #4
    That helps a little, but it seems you don't yet have a clear design goal... We can't really help you with the physics unless we know more about what your robot is going to do.

Or are you asking for ideas for a robot you could build which would involve physics? If that's what you're wondering, try searching the internet for high school robotics competitions. Even if you're not the competitive type, that migh give you some ideas, and it will give you a sense of what's feasible for someone in high school.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook