Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Does Saturn Have a Hexagon on it?

1. Sep 18, 2009 #1
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 18, 2009 #2

DaveC426913

Gold Member

It is real.

But it only looks like a hexagon. And it is only weird if you ignore the context in which it occurs (i.e. centred on the pole) In fact, it's simply a oscillatory wave in polar coordinates.

If you set up a standing wave in a circular swimming pool (say, by jumping up and down at just the right speed), you will get waves that form a similar symmetrical pattern. Speed up and the waves get smaller, forming a finer pattern.

Likewise on Saturn. If the winds sped up, you'd start seeing a standing wave with 7 crests or 8 or 9 (though I'm not sure if odd numbers are stable). The winds slow down and you see a standing wave with 5 or 4 crests.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2009
  4. Sep 18, 2009 #3
    Thank you Dave :)

I also seen this answer:

"hexagons are one of the five basic forms that matter can fall into called platonic solids; spin and electrify plasma to create standing waves like on Saturn and typically one finds hexagons showing as you look down on the top of a dodecahedron at that energy level. look at the center of hurricanes, same thing" ??

5. Sep 18, 2009 #4

D H

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

The hexagon is real. The stuff about platonic solids is nonsense. There are five platonic solids: tetrahedrons, cubes, octahedrons, dodecahedrons, and icosahedrons.

Here's an article at NASA: http://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/cassini/media/cassini-20070327.html

YouTube is, in general, a terrible place to obtain any kind of intelligent information. Yes , there are exceptions, but there is a lot of garbage there.

6. Sep 18, 2009 #5

DaveC426913

Gold Member

See attached diagram. All I did was take a sine wave with six peaks and convert it to polar coordinates.

Attached Files:

7. Sep 18, 2009 #6

DaveC426913

Gold Member

I just listened to the video. Oh my God. I weep for the future.

8. Sep 18, 2009 #7
    LOL - yeah, I ain't listened to the Video, but from the responses I can see there talking about aliens maybe? Worlds gone mad...

9. Sep 18, 2009 #8
    Jesus, someone posted this (P.S - sorry for double post)

[crackpottery deleted]

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 18, 2009
  10. Sep 18, 2009 #9

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

I understand you are just posting some crackpot nonsense you saw elsewhere, but even still, just having it here lowers the quality of our forum. Also, formatting the quotes properly will help avoid confusion about which words are yours... :wink:

11. Sep 18, 2009 #10

SpaceTiger

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Nice demonstration, Dave!

12. Feb 3, 2010 #11

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I saw the show, did a quick search, and landed here. Good job!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook