Saturn's 145 Moons: The Latest Discoveries and What Sets Them Apart

In summary, Saturn has reclaimed its title as the "moon king" with the recent discovery of 62 new moons, bringing the total to 145. These moons were discovered using a technique called "shift and stack" and include 121 irregular moons and 24 regular moons. This surpasses Jupiter's 95 known moons and supports the theory that Saturn experienced a recent collision. The term "moon" may need to be redefined to distinguish between round and irregular objects, and the minimum size for a moon to be counted is still up for debate. Overall, this discovery expands our understanding of the complex and diverse satellite systems around gas giant planets.
Astronuc
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
2023 Award

Saturn reclaims 'moon king' title with 62 newfound satellites, bringing total to 145​

https://www.space.com/saturn-moon-king-62-newfound-satellites
Astronomers have discovered 62 new moons orbiting the ringed planet Saturn, bringing to total to 145 Moons, with 121 irregular moons and 24 regular moons.
The new moons were discovered by a team led by Edward Ashton, a postdoctoral fellow at the Academia Sinica Institute of Astronomy and Astrophysics, who used a technique called "shift and stack" to find these smaller and fainter moons around Saturn.

The technique uses a set of images shifting at the same speed at which a moon moves through the sky to enhance the signal from that moon. Moons that are too faint to be seen in single images can reveal themselves in the resultant "stacked image."

Astronomers have used this method to search for moons around the ice giants Neptune and Uranus, but this is the first time it has been applied to the solar system's second-largest planet, Saturn.
Moon, or irregular moon, vs asteroid.
Though some of the moons had been spotted as early as 2019, it takes more than sighting an object close to a planet to confirm it is a moon and not an asteroid making a brief close passage to that planet. To change these objects from "suspected moons" to "confirmed moons" of Saturn, the astronomers had to track them for several years to ensure each is actually orbiting the gas giant.

Performing a painstaking process of matching objects detected on different nights over the course of 24 months, the team tracked 63 objects that they ended up confirming as moons. One of these satellites was revealed back in 2021, with the remaining 62 moons gradually announced over the past few weeks.

Jupiter leap-frogged Saturn for the moon crown in February 2023 when 12 new moons were found around the solar system's largest planet, bringing the total number of known Jovian moons to 92.
Sky and Telescope mentions 95 moons for Jupiter.

https://skyandtelescope.org/astronomy-news/new-observations-double-saturns-irregular-moons/
As of press time, the Minor Planet Center (MPC) has published the orbits of 41 new moons in a series of announcements, called Minor Planet Electronic Circulars, issued between May 3rd and 10th. Brett Gladman (University of British Columbia, Canada) said May 11th that the center would release orbits for an additional 21 moons shortly. That will bring Saturn's total moon count to 145, including 24 “regular” moons, which formed around the planet, and 121 smaller, “irregular” moons on wide, elongated, and tilted orbits. The new reports more than double Saturn’s number of irregular moons, leaving Saturn far ahead of Jupiter’s 95 moons, which had put Jupiter in first place earlier this year.

• Informative
  • Wow
Likes Math100, Charles Link, Structure seeker and 6 others
Astronomy news on Phys.org
Astronuc said:

Saturn reclaims 'moon king' title with 62 newfound satellites, bringing total to 145​

https://www.space.com/saturn-moon-king-62-newfound-satellites
Astronomers have discovered 62 new moons orbiting the ringed planet Saturn, bringing to total to 145 Moons, with 121 irregular moons and 24 regular moons.

Moon, or irregular moon, vs asteroid.
Sky and Telescope mentions 95 moons for Jupiter.

https://skyandtelescope.org/astronomy-news/new-observations-double-saturns-irregular-moons/
Greedy bastard.

• Haha
Likes pinball1970, russ_watters, DennisN and 1 other person
What I find interesting is the number and extent of the irregular moons/satellites.

Perhaps the term 'moon' should be reserved for 'round' planetary satellites and 'satellite' be reserved for those irregular objects revolving around a planet.

Nevertheless, the presence of a large number irregular objects is being interpreted as evidence of a 'recent collision' of some massive object(s).

In 2021, the following paper was published:
https://iopscience.iop.org/article/10.3847/PSJ/ac0979/pdf
Irregular moons are eccentric, inclined objects that are found
orbiting, usually at many hundreds of planetary radii, around all
four giant planets. The moons are thought to be Sun-orbiting
planetesimals that were captured by the giant planets during the
late stages of planet formation or collisional fragments of them.
Also in the article,
As of early 2019, no new Saturnian irregulars had been
discovered, and almost none of the known moons had been
imaged, for over 10 yr. Because this is comparable to or longer
than some of the observed arcs, the growing orbital
uncertainties require further astrometric observations to main-
tain accurate ephemerides (Jacobson et al. 2012). Currently,
there are 58 known Saturnian irregular moons, of which 7
belong to the Inuit group, 5 to the Gallic group, and 46 to the
Norse group, 6 of which were considered “lost” at the start of
2019 by Jacobson et al. (2012).

If these objects are ~3km in size, it's a good thing that Saturn and Jupiter don't share them with Earth.

Likes Algr and BillTre
Astronuc said:
Perhaps the term 'moon' should be reserved for 'round' planetary satellites and 'satellite' be reserved for those irregular objects revolving around a planet.
Go down that path and before you know it, Pluto will no longer be a planet.

Without some sort of minimum size, counting moons is hopeless. Is every speck of dust a moon?

Moons seem to fall into a few categories:

1. Big, round, and rocky: Earth's moon, Titan, and the four largest moons of Jupiter fall into this category.
2. Smaller, round and icy: Rhea is the prototype. I'd also include Triton,the large Uranian moons, and many of the larger Saturnian moon: Tethys, Dianoe. The lower limit on size is in the 100-150 km radius ballpark.

I admit that "rocky" and "icy" are somewhat subjective, and certainly position dependent.

3. Irregular moons. Again, the line between "round" and "irregular" is blurry. I would draw the line between Mimas and Hyperion, but others might draw it differently. I'm not sure of distinguishing between rocky and icy makes sense, as there are only two known to be rocky: Deimos and Phobos.

Likes berkeman, Klystron and BillTre
Vanadium 50 said:

Without some sort of minimum size, counting moons is hopeless. Is every speck of dust a moon?
Yeah, I imagine that there would be some debate/argument about how and where to draw the line. I would go so far as to count specs of dust, otherwise, Saturn's rings become many moons.Universe Today published an article "Jupiter Probably Has 600 Small, Irregular Moons," September 10, 2020
Clearly, they have not been identified. The article mentions, "In 2017, researchers published a study announcing the discovery of 12 more irregular moons orbiting Jupiter. Prior to this new research, the number of known Jovian irregulars was 71. And scientists have speculated for years that Jupiter has an undiscovered population of smaller moons. Some astronomers have said that the large giants all have the same number of satellites, despite differences in their masses. It’s just that they’re hard to see."
and then
The team of astronomers found 52 objects in their images which they identified as irregular moons. The objects had magnitudes down to 25.7, and that corresponds to objects with diameters of approximately 800 meters (875 yards.) Of those 52, seven of the brightest were already-known irregular moons. While those seven are prograde moons, the other 45 are very likely retrograde moons, meaning they orbit opposite of Jupiter’s direction of rotation.

From the observable data, the team extrapolates to 600.

It's interesting, since there is a lot more out there than we realized even 10 years ago.

Likes Klystron and BillTre
Astronuc said:
Best not to anger the God of War.

Likes BillTre and collinsmark
russ_watters said:
Best not to anger the God of War.
Michael Brown? I agree - look what he did to poor Pluto.

Apparently, Rhea-like objects have a name" "MSI Moons", where the MSI stands for "Medium-Sized Icy"

Vanadium 50 said:

Moons seem to fall into a few categories:

1. Big, round, and rocky: Earth's moon, Titan, and the four largest moons of Jupiter fall into this category.
2. Smaller, round and icy: Rhea is the prototype. I'd also include Triton,the large Uranian moons, and many of the larger Saturnian moon: Tethys, Dianoe. The lower limit on size is in the 100-150 km radius ballpark.

I admit that "rocky" and "icy" are somewhat subjective, and certainly position dependent.

3. Irregular moons. Again, the line between "round" and "irregular" is blurry. I would draw the line between Mimas and Hyperion, but others might draw it differently. I'm not sure of distinguishing between rocky and icy makes sense, as there are only two known to be rocky: Deimos and Phobos.
This is a good point because when I first read the title of this thread I thought to myself "wow, we are still finding moon sized objects that we didn't know about within our own milky way? ..."

Then I realized that "someone found something not very big" and now we have a discussion over how to perceive it.

'Ever more assorted junk identified among Saturn's debris' doesn't get as much publicity.

Likes Aldarion and russ_watters
Astronuc said:
Astronomers have discovered 62 new moons orbiting the ringed planet Saturn
And how many full moons did they find?

• Haha
Likes DennisN, artis and Vanadium 50
Swamp Thing said:
And how many full moons did they find?
60 full moons, 120 half moons, 240 quarter moons....

Likes Aldarion, AlexB23, russ_watters and 4 others
Vanadium 50 said:
60 full moons, 120 half moons, 240 quarter moons....
If Beethoven had lived on Saturn , all the Moonlight sonatas would need added numbering to them.

• Haha
Likes Aldarion and DennisN
With that many moons positioned in orbit around a planet, doesn't it make the planet very bright during the night time on said planet?

artis said:
With that many moons positioned in orbit around a planet, doesn't it make the planet very bright during the night time on said planet?
No, or not from these new moons anyway. Many of them are around 3km across, so their total projected area is tiny compared to our moon. And Saturn is much further from the Sun than we are anyway.

Last edited:
Likes Astronuc
I always knew Saturn was hiding something from us.

amazing

1. What is the total number of moons that orbit Saturn?

As of 2021, Saturn has a total of 145 known moons. However, this number is constantly changing as new moons are discovered.

2. What is the largest moon of Saturn?

The largest moon of Saturn is Titan, which is also the second largest moon in the entire solar system. It has a diameter of 5,150 kilometers and is larger than the planet Mercury.

3. How many of Saturn's moons are considered to be "regular" moons?

Out of the 145 known moons, only 53 are considered to be "regular" moons. These are moons that have stable orbits and are large enough to have achieved hydrostatic equilibrium.

4. What is unique about Saturn's moon Enceladus?

Enceladus is known for its active geysers that spew water and ice particles into space. This makes it one of the most geologically active bodies in the solar system and a potential location for extraterrestrial life.

5. How do scientists classify Saturn's moons?

Saturn's moons are classified based on their size, composition, and orbital characteristics. The three main categories are regular moons, irregular moons, and shepherd moons. Regular moons have stable orbits and are large enough to be spherical, while irregular moons have more eccentric orbits. Shepherd moons are small moons that help maintain the shape of Saturn's rings.