Does Stephen Hawking give autographs?

Ben Niehoff

Science Advisor
Gold Member
I'm going to a talk he's giving tonight, and I don't want to offend him somehow. I also don't know if he actually can, practically speaking...

cristo

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Given that the guy can only move his eyes and his cheek muscle, no, he does not give autographs!

Maybe he gives audiographs.

hmmm, just wondering. How does he communicate then? I thought he could move his hands enough to controls a joystick or something. Surely he didnt morsecode eye blink his books? :)

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
Homework Helper
hmmm, just wondering. How does he communicate then? I thought he could move his hands enough to controls a joystick or something. Surely he didnt morsecode eye blink his books? :)
He used to have a joystick but his illness has progressed so he can now only move a switch with his cheek.
The software uses something like the predictive texting on a mobile phone but it's still pretty long winded to get an answer.

On the plus side he isn't such a menace to cyclists anymore :tongue:

Sure he does. I got him to sign this post:

Stephen Hawking, Ph.D.

maybe you could get a photo with the guy

Sure he does. I got him to sign this post:

Stephen Hawking, Ph.D.
This is funny, because it seems that he would care about the "PhD" title. Please realize that a PhD is awarded by academic institutions. The vast majority of academic institutions out there would be happy if Stephen Hawking would award them a compliment ! Stephen Hawking holds Isaac Newton's chair.

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Last edited:
Although he seems to have had it 'pimped' since then.
LOL. Not even Newton could have imagined how the chair wouldve been. Who know what it will be in another 200 years... time travel anyone? :O

Chi Meson

Science Advisor
Homework Helper
This is funny, because it seems that he would care about the "PhD" title. Please realize that a PhD is awarded by academic institutions. The vast majority of academic institutions out there would be happy if Stephen Hawking would award them a compliment ! Stephen Hawking holds Isaac Newton's chair.
If he can't move his hands, how is he holding up that chair?

Bolted to his wheelchair, I assume.

You are incredibly lucky to get to go see hims speak, I'd love to see that.

I second the photo idea.

Ben Niehoff

Science Advisor
Gold Member
Well, I didn't get a chance for a photo at all. I took photos of him, but I never got near him. It was a nice speech, though.

And in one slide he showed us the official bet with Thorne and Preskill. He did sign that document, with a smudge (that was probably a fingerprint).

The Physics Forums Way

We Value Quality
• Topics based on mainstream science
• Proper English grammar and spelling
We Value Civility
• Positive and compassionate attitudes
• Patience while debating
We Value Productivity
• Disciplined to remain on-topic
• Recognition of own weaknesses
• Solo and co-op problem solving