Does Stephen Hawking give autographs?

In summary, Stephen Hawking is giving a speech tonight and does not give autographs. He communicates using a joystick and a switch on his cheek. He has a PhD from an academic institution and is still holding the chair that Isaac Newton held. He signed a document with Thorne and Preskill.
Ben Niehoff
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I'm going to a talk he's giving tonight, and I don't want to offend him somehow. I also don't know if he actually can, practically speaking...

Physics news on Phys.org
Given that the guy can only move his eyes and his cheek muscle, no, he does not give autographs!

Maybe he gives audiographs.

hmmm, just wondering. How does he communicate then? I thought he could move his hands enough to controls a joystick or something. Surely he didnt morsecode eye blink his books? :)

FredericGos said:
hmmm, just wondering. How does he communicate then? I thought he could move his hands enough to controls a joystick or something. Surely he didnt morsecode eye blink his books? :)
He used to have a joystick but his illness has progressed so he can now only move a switch with his cheek.
The software uses something like the predictive texting on a mobile phone but it's still pretty long winded to get an answer.

On the plus side he isn't such a menace to cyclists anymore :tongue:

Sure he does. I got him to sign this post:

Stephen Hawking, Ph.D.

maybe you could get a photo with the guy

Brilliant! said:
Sure he does. I got him to sign this post:

Stephen Hawking, Ph.D.
This is funny, because it seems that he would care about the "PhD" title. Please realize that a PhD is awarded by academic institutions. The vast majority of academic institutions out there would be happy if Stephen Hawking would award them a compliment ! Stephen Hawking holds Isaac Newton's chair.

humanino said:
Stephen Hawking holds Isaac Newton's chair.

and their administrative skills are both legendary

humanino said:
Stephen Hawking holds Isaac Newton's chair.
Although he seems to have had it 'pimped' since then.

Last edited:
mgb_phys said:
Although he seems to have had it 'pimped' since then.

LOL. Not even Newton could have imagined how the chair wouldve been. Who know what it will be in another 200 years... time travel anyone? :O

humanino said:
This is funny, because it seems that he would care about the "PhD" title. Please realize that a PhD is awarded by academic institutions. The vast majority of academic institutions out there would be happy if Stephen Hawking would award them a compliment ! Stephen Hawking holds Isaac Newton's chair.
If he can't move his hands, how is he holding up that chair?

Bolted to his wheelchair, I assume.

You are incredibly lucky to get to go see hims speak, I'd love to see that.

I second the photo idea.

Well, I didn't get a chance for a photo at all. I took photos of him, but I never got near him. It was a nice speech, though.

And in one slide he showed us the official bet with Thorne and Preskill. He did sign that document, with a smudge (that was probably a fingerprint).

1. Can I get an autograph from Stephen Hawking?

Unfortunately, Stephen Hawking passed away in 2018, so it is no longer possible to obtain an autograph from him.

2. Did Stephen Hawking ever give autographs?

Yes, Stephen Hawking did give autographs during his lifetime. However, due to his limited mobility and extensive schedule, he did not sign many autographs.

3. How can I get an autograph from Stephen Hawking?

As mentioned before, it is no longer possible to obtain an autograph from Stephen Hawking. However, you may be able to find autographed items from reputable sellers or at auctions.

4. Are Stephen Hawking's autographs valuable?

Yes, due to his scientific contributions and limited number of autographs, Stephen Hawking's signatures can be quite valuable. However, the value may vary depending on the item and its authenticity.

5. Did Stephen Hawking's signature change over time?

Yes, Stephen Hawking's signature did change over time due to his declining motor skills. Some of his later signatures may appear more illegible compared to his earlier ones.