Does the back bridge really fix back problems?

• Thread starter Bararontok
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Bridge
In summary, this device is not likely to be of much help for people with back pain, and may even do more harm than good.
Bararontok
It claims to be able to fix problems such as slip discs, scoliosis and lordosis, setting the spine back into a normal position by simply lying down on the curved surface and letting it stretch the spine. Is this really true?

Source:

http://www.backbridge.com/

Physics news on Phys.org
If you spend all day sitting with bad posture, and/or all night sleeping on a mattress that is too soft, I guess it won't do you any harm to have a good stretch. Whether you actually need the gizmo to have a good stretch is a different question.

But if I had a specific medical problem like a slipped disk, I would certainly get it fixed professionally rather than just try one of those - even though the professional treatment may be "only" physiotherapy, not surgery.

I would be very skeptical that this device does much of anything until there are independent reviews of this as a therapeutic device for specific conditions.

I know that it's reasonably common for physiotherapists to place people with back pain on a foam cylinder and have them roll up and down and I believe that the idea there is that this acts much like a massage, relaxing muscles that are in spasm and therefore returning the spine into a more neutral alignment. I suspect that the idea behind the device in question here is much the same and therefore it's not unreasonable to expect that it would provide some temporary relief under similar conditions.

For chronic conditions where the integrity of a vertebral disk has been compromised, for example, I don't see how such a device could lead to any long term benefit. And the potential for delaying treatment by a competent professional could do more harm than good.

I'm sure there's a joke in here somewhere about a lighter wallet aligning one's spine.

1. What is the back bridge exercise and how does it work?

The back bridge exercise, also known as the bridge pose or wheel pose in yoga, involves lying on your back with your knees bent and feet flat on the ground, then lifting your hips up until your body forms a bridge shape. This exercise works by stretching and strengthening the muscles in the back, including the erector spinae, which helps to improve posture and relieve tension in the spine. It also engages the core muscles, leading to improved stability and support for the spine.

2. Can the back bridge exercise really fix back problems?

While the back bridge exercise can be helpful for improving back strength and posture, it is not a guaranteed solution for all back problems. It may be beneficial for certain types of back pain, such as tension or muscle strain, but it is not a substitute for medical advice and treatment for more serious conditions like herniated discs or spinal stenosis. It is always best to consult with a doctor or physical therapist for personalized treatment options.

3. How often should I do the back bridge exercise?

The frequency of doing the back bridge exercise may vary depending on individual factors such as fitness level and back condition. It is generally recommended to start with 1-3 repetitions, holding the pose for 5-10 seconds each time, and gradually increase as your back strength improves. For some individuals, doing the exercise 2-3 times a week may be enough, while others may benefit from daily practice. It is important to listen to your body and not overdo it, as this can lead to further strain or injury.

4. Are there any modifications for the back bridge exercise?

Yes, there are modifications that can be made to the back bridge exercise to make it more accessible or challenging, depending on your needs. For example, placing a yoga block under the hips for support or bending the arms and placing the hands next to the ears can make the pose easier. On the other hand, lifting one leg off the ground or extending the arms overhead can make the pose more challenging. It is important to choose modifications that feel comfortable and safe for your body.

5. Are there any risks associated with the back bridge exercise?

As with any exercise, there is always a risk of injury if not performed correctly. It is important to maintain proper form, engage the core muscles, and avoid overextending the spine. If you have a history of back problems or are experiencing pain during the exercise, it is best to consult with a healthcare professional before continuing. Additionally, if you have any other health conditions, such as high blood pressure or pregnancy, it is important to check with your doctor before attempting the back bridge exercise.