Does the Equation 1=Ω_k+Ω_m+Ω_Λ Hold for All Universe Types?

  • Level: Graduate 
  • Thread starter Thread starter Mysteryciel
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Density Universe
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 2K views
Mysteryciel
Messages
4
Reaction score
1
I was searching a cosmology calculator and In one calculator I saw this equation.
##1=Ω_k+Ω_m+Ω_Λ##
is that true true for all type universe's (open,flat,closed) ?
and is here ##Ω_k={-k\over H^2_0 /a^2_0}## isn't it.
(And If you can give me an article about this issue I will be very happy,I need exact proof)
Thanks
 
Last edited:
Astronomy news on Phys.org
It's true for globally isotropic universes with matter and cosmological constant. For proof, consult any introductory cosmology text.
 
Mysteryciel said:
I was searching a cosmology calculator and In one calculator I saw this equation.
##1=Ω_k+Ω_m+Ω_Λ##
is that true true for all type universe's (open,flat,closed) ?
and is here ##Ω_k={-k\over H^2_0 /a^2_0}## isn't it.
(And If you can give me an article about this issue I will be very happy,I need exact proof)
Thanks
That equation is part of the definition of the ##\Omega## parameters. It's true as long as there is no other component of the energy density (e.g. it's true as long as the radiation density is small enough to be ignored). If you have some other component, such as ##\Omega_r## for radiation, then you have to add that to the equation:

[tex]1 = \Omega_k + \Omega_m + \Omega_\Lambda + \Omega_r[/tex]

And yes, that equation for ##\Omega_k## is correct.
 
Sum = 1 implies a flat universe. > 1 implies closed, < 1 implies open.
 
mathman said:
Sum = 1 implies a flat universe. > 1 implies closed, < 1 implies open.
Not when [itex]\Omega_k[/itex] is included, as Chalnoth said the sum is unity; [itex]\Omega_k[/itex] absorbs the k term.

[itex]\Omega_k[/itex] > 0 implies open, [itex]\Omega_k[/itex] = 0 implies flat and [itex]\Omega_k[/itex]< 0 implies closed, (see the OP definition of [itex]\Omega_k[/itex]).

Garth