Does the sum of ln(k/(k+1)) converge or diverge as n approaches infinity?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 3K views
cp255
Messages
54
Reaction score
0
So I was trying to see if [itex]\Sigma[/itex]ln([itex]\frac{n}{n+1}[/itex]) diverges or converges. To see this I started writing out [ln(1) - ln(2)] + [ln(2) - ln(3)] + [ln(4) - ln(5)] ...

I noticed that after ln(1) everything must cancel out so I reasoned that the series must converge on ln(1) which equals ZERO. However, Wolfram Alpha says the series is divergent. I tried looking it up how to do this problem and I read that the last term also does not cancel out which is why the series diverges. However, shouldn't there always be a term bigger than the last so everything must cancel.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Write an expression for [itex]\sum_{k=1}^{n} ln(\frac{k}{k+1})[/itex]. What is the limit of this expression as n tends to infinity?