Does the wavefunction have a zero value anywhere?

In summary, the wavefunction can have a zero value in many places in the universe due to the interference and superposition of particles. This is due to the antisymmetric nature of the wave function, which creates nodal surfaces where the wave function is zero. The wave function is defined on a configuration space, so these places can be seen as points in this space. However, the concept of the Plank length, which is a very small distance, has no particular meaning in physics and does not have a significant impact on the wave function.
imiyakawa
Does the wavefunction have a zero value anywhere??

Are there any places in the universe where a wavefunction has a 0 value? Or does the wavefunction have a non-zero value for everywhere in space? (0 doesn't equal incredibly unlikely).
---
Also, let's assume the theory on the Planck length is correct (perhaps it's been proven, I don't know I aint a physicist!), what happens if two particles collapse at the exact same moment -the same Planck time slice - into the exact same place in space. Would there be some massive release of energy? Is there something inbuilt that stops this from ever occurring? Do we not know the answer to this at this point in time?

I assume this can't happen as this would have inevitably happened in the electron cloud and we would have observed it by now.. right?

Physics news on Phys.org

A plane wave is a useful approximation of a wave packet which is localized in a large but finite volume V (the size of your experimental setup). Outside it the wave function is zero.

Plank length is a very short distance. All elementary particles are much "larger". This distance appeared from playing with physical constants rather than from some phenomenon description. It has no particular meaning in physics.

imiyakawa said:
Are there any places in the universe where a wavefunction has a 0 value?

Yes, there are many!
Interference or superposition is one of the main features of Quantum Mechanics. As an example, electron beam passing two slits makes the interference pattern on the screen. We can say with 100% probability that electorons cannot come this and this points on the screen. Wave function are zero on these points.

Last edited:

sweet springs said:
Yes, there are many!
Interference or superposition is one of the main features of Quantum Mechanics. As an example, electron beam passing two slits makes the interference pattern on the screen. We can say with 100% probability that electorons cannot come this and this points on the screen. Wave function are zero on these points.

I was under the assumption from Brain Greene's book that the wavefunction always has a non-zero value and what we see in everyday life is just the most likely (by an extreme, unimaginable amount) occurance occurring.

He gave the example that it is actually possible for every particle in every oxygen atom in any given room to collapse onto the dark side of the moon leaving you dead, except it is so unlikely that it'll most likely never occur.

Perhaps the dark spots on the screen in the double slit experiment are areas of the wavefunction that are incredibly close to 0 and we're unlikely to see any experimental evidence of a statistical blip occurring whereby the electron actually collapses into the dark spot within our lifetimes?

Or then again what you said could be right and my conclusions could be wrong.

imiyakawa said:
Are there any places in the universe where a wavefunction has a 0 value? Or does the wavefunction have a non-zero value for everywhere in space? (0 doesn't equal incredibly unlikely).

Of course. We know that the many-electron wave function for a bunch of fermionic particles has to be antisymmetric (it changes sign under exchange of two particle labels). This implies that the configuration space (the positions of all the particles) is divided into regions where the corresponding value of the wave function is positive and regions where the corresponding value wave function is negative ('nodal pockets'). The positive and negative regions must clearly be separated by a 3N-1 dimensional hypersurface where the wave function is zero and across which it changes sign (the 'nodal surface').

This applied as much for the 'wave function of the universe' (where N is the number of particles in the universe) as it does to the wave function of an isolated subsystem.

I didn't understand much of what you said, but thanks for the answer

imiyakawa said:
I didn't understand much of what you said, but thanks for the answer

Sorry - I'll repeat in human language:

In some places the wave function is positive. In some other places it is negative. By definition, in passing from positive to negative you have to go through a surface on which it is zero. Hence there are a very large number of places in which the wave function is zero.

(If I might be permitted to get all complicated on your ***: remember also that the wave function is a function of the positions of all the particles i.e. we write it as Psi(x_1,x_2,...x_N) - the technical way of saying this is that it is defined on a configuration space. So when I say 'place' I mean a 'place in configuration space' i.e. a list of the positions of all the particles).

Edit: I can't believe the software asterisks out the word *** - I mean, are we all children around here?

Last edited:

1. What is the wavefunction and why is it important?

The wavefunction is a mathematical description of the quantum state of a particle. It is important because it allows us to make predictions about the behavior and properties of particles at the quantum level.

2. Does the wavefunction have a physical meaning or is it just a mathematical tool?

This is a debated topic among scientists. Some argue that the wavefunction has physical meaning, while others argue that it is simply a mathematical tool used to make predictions. The interpretation of the wavefunction is still a subject of ongoing research.

3. Can the wavefunction have a zero value anywhere?

Yes, the wavefunction can have a zero value at certain points in space. This is known as a "node" and it represents a location where the probability of finding the particle is zero. However, the wavefunction can also have non-zero values at other points, which correspond to locations where the particle is more likely to be found.

4. What is the significance of the wavefunction having a zero value?

The significance of the wavefunction having a zero value at certain points is that it tells us about the behavior of the particle at those points. For example, if the wavefunction has a zero value at a certain point, it means that the particle is unlikely to be found at that point.

5. How is the wavefunction related to the uncertainty principle?

The wavefunction is related to the uncertainty principle in that it describes the probability of finding a particle at a certain location. The uncertainty principle states that it is impossible to know both the position and momentum of a particle with absolute certainty. The wavefunction helps us understand this uncertainty by showing us the probability distribution of where the particle is most likely to be found.