Does this has anything to do with relativity?

• Thread starter Idoke
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Relativity
In summary, the Starship Enterprise is traveling at a velocity of 0.7c to the moon with a distance of 384,000 km from Earth. Using the equation Time = Distance/Speed, it would take 1.828571428 seconds for the ship to reach the moon from the Earth's reference frame. However, from the crew's point of view, time would be different due to relativistic effects.
Idoke

Homework Statement

The Starship Enterprise, apparently escaping from the clutches of Cthulhu (the image was not altered, this is how it was given!) is flying to the moon at a velocity of 0.7c.
How long will it take (in seconds) for it to get to the moon, as observed from the Earth's frame of reference.
D from Earth to the Moon is 384,000 Km.
At t=0 the ship is over the earth

http://img229.imageshack.us/img229/4001/spaceshiptothemoon.png

Homework Equations

Time=distance/speed...

The Attempt at a Solution

Am I wrong to assume this has nothing to do with relativistic time dilation or shortening of distances and what-not?
This seems to be a straightforward calculation.
So is this right:
384,000 Km = 3.84*10^8 m
c = 3*10^8 m/s
[tex]\frac{3.84*10^8}{0.7*3*10^8}[/tex] = 1.828571428 seconds.

I got this in a relativity assignment so I'm suspicious of this solution.
If I missed something please let me know.*can't edit the title, obviously should be "have"...

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
In the Earth's reference frame it's just the distance and time.
From the point of view of the crew time would be different.

Thank You!

1. What is relativity and how does it relate to science?

Relativity is a theory proposed by Albert Einstein in the early 20th century, which explains the relationships between space and time. It has been a fundamental concept in the field of physics and has led to numerous scientific discoveries and advancements.

2. How does relativity impact our daily lives?

Relativity has a significant impact on our daily lives, as it is the basis for many modern technologies such as GPS systems, nuclear energy, and medical imaging devices. It also helps us understand the universe and its behavior.

3. Is there more than one type of relativity?

Yes, there are two types of relativity: Special Relativity and General Relativity. Special Relativity deals with the relationship between space and time in the absence of gravity, while General Relativity includes the effects of gravity.

4. How is relativity tested and proven?

Relativity has been extensively tested and proven through experiments, observations, and mathematical calculations. Some of the most famous experiments that support relativity include the Michelson-Morley experiment and the bending of light by massive objects.

5. Can relativity be understood by everyone?

While the concept of relativity may seem complex, it can be understood by everyone with a basic knowledge of physics and mathematics. There are also many resources available, such as books and online tutorials, that can help explain the theory in a more accessible way.