Does this seem like a good schedule?

• Thread starter SMA_01
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Schedule
In summary, the conversation discusses the speaker's course schedule and their consideration of taking Applied Combinatorics as their fourth course. The speaker is unsure if they can handle the workload and is considering adding a history course for balance. They are advised to check for an easy history professor and use the "drop a course with penalty" option if needed.
SMA_01
How does this sound?

First Course in Modern Algebra (Abstract Algebra)
Applied Statistics 2
Differential Equations

and I need one more course, I'm considering Applied Combinatorics, is that class hard? What exactly is it about?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Are you a math major??

The schedule might be a bit light. Statistics and Diff Eq. tend to be really easy. I don't think applied combinatorics will be a problem either. Maybe consider an analysis course as well...

SMA_01 said:
How does this sound?

First Course in Modern Algebra (Abstract Algebra)
Applied Statistics 2
Differential Equations

and I need one more course, I'm considering Applied Combinatorics, is that class hard? What exactly is it about?

Thanks

how many credits are you looking to take? so far how many credits are the listed courses combined? You could throw a gen-ed in there to be a little "stress release" course.

@micromass: I tried looking fo rone, but not many options.

@Edin: That's 12 credits. Not much I know, but will adding a history class in there be overwhelming? Abstract Algebra is my first upper level math course, and I'm a bit nervous about it.

for one*

SMA_01 said:
@micromass: I tried looking fo rone, but not many options.

@Edin: That's 12 credits. Not much I know, but will adding a history class in there be overwhelming? Abstract Algebra is my first upper level math course, and I'm a bit nervous about it.

That would depend on several factors. How much work does the class ask of the student? I took a history course where we didn't have homework or any papers to write. Just read 2 novels, and a chapter a week in the class textbook. We took a quiz on each chapter and a test on the 2 novels. That's it. It wasn't labor intensive just required reading which a person with good time management would be able to handle.

I'm against using rate my professor so I won't say check rate my professor for an easy history prof in your school.

If you include another 3 credit class to your 12 credit course load you'll have 15 which I think you can handle. If anything I'm sure your school has a "drop a course with penalty" date. If you take the class for about a week and you feel you can't handle the load just drop it before the deadline and your transcript won't have a scratch.

Yeah, I see where you're coming from, I'm going to check out the history courses offered, hope I can find something not too overwhelming. Thank you for your help!

1. What factors make a schedule good?

A good schedule should take into account the individual's priorities, goals, and available resources. It should also be realistic and manageable, with a balance of work and leisure time.

2. How do you determine if a schedule is effective?

An effective schedule should result in increased productivity, improved time management skills, and reduced stress levels. It should also allow for flexibility and adaptation to unexpected changes.

3. What are some ways to improve a schedule?

One way to improve a schedule is to regularly review and evaluate it, making necessary adjustments to better meet your needs. Additionally, setting specific and achievable goals can help prioritize tasks and make the schedule more efficient.

4. How can a good schedule benefit one's overall well-being?

A good schedule can lead to better time management, reduced stress, and a sense of control and accomplishment. It can also allow for more time to focus on self-care, hobbies, and relationships.

5. How can a scientist benefit from having a good schedule?

A good schedule can help a scientist effectively manage their time and prioritize tasks, leading to increased productivity and progress in their research. It can also allow for a healthy work-life balance, promoting overall well-being and preventing burnout.