As I am not experienced in these matters, this proof should be checked for errors by one of the mentors.
For starters, I will remind everyone what the definition of weak convergence in [tex]L^{2}(A)[/tex] is:
A sequence [tex]{X_{n}}[/tex] is said to converge weakly to [tex]X[/tex] (written [tex]X_{n} \stackrel{w}{\rightarrow} X[/tex]) if for all functions [tex]Z[/tex] in [tex]L^{2}(A)[/tex], we have [tex]\int X_{n}Z \rightarrow \int XZ[/tex]
Next, I will show that if a sequence [tex]{X_{n}}[/tex] in [tex]L^{2}(A)[/tex] converges weakly, then the sequence of integrals [tex]|\int X_{n}|[/tex] is bounded. Just let [tex]Z[/tex] be the constant function [tex]Z(x) = 1[/tex]. Then by the definition of weak convergence,
[tex]\int X_{n} = \int X_{n}Z \rightarrow \int XZ = \int X[/tex]
and [tex]\int X_{n}[/tex] convergent means [tex]|\int X_{n}|[/tex] is bounded.
Next, I will point out that there is a theorem that says that two functions [tex]X[/tex] and [tex]Y[/tex] in [tex]L^{2}(A)[/tex] are equal if for all [tex]Z[/tex] in [tex]L^{2}(A)[/tex] we have
[tex]\int XZ = \int YZ[/tex]
Finally, I get to the proof.
Let [tex]M[/tex] be the bound on [tex]|\int X_{n}|[/tex]. Let [tex]L = |\int X|[/tex]. Let [tex]Z[/tex] be in [tex]L^{2}(A)[/tex], and choose [tex]\epsilon > 0[/tex].
Since [tex]{X_{n}} \stackrel{w}{\rightarrow} X[/tex], we can find [tex]N_{1}[/tex] such that for all [tex]n \ge N_{1}[/tex] we have [tex]|\int X_{n}Z - \int XZ| < \frac{\epsilon}{3L}[/tex].
Also, we can find [tex]N_{2}[/tex] such that for all [tex]n \ge N_{2}[/tex] we have [tex]|\int X_{n}Z - \int XZ| < \frac{\epsilon}{3M}[/tex].
Since [tex]{X_{n}^2} \stackrel {w}{\rightarrow} Y[/tex] we can find [tex]N_{3}[/tex] such that for all [tex]n \ge N_{3}[/tex] we have [tex]|\int X_{n}^{2}Z - \int YZ| < \frac{\epsilon}{3}[/tex].
Let [tex]N[/tex] be the maximum of [tex]N_{1}[/tex], [tex]N_{2}[/tex], and [tex]N_{3}[/tex], then for all [tex]n > N[/tex] we have
[tex]|\int X^{2}Z - \int YZ|[/tex]
[tex]\le |\int X^{2}Z - \int X_{n}XZ| + |\int X_{n}XZ - \int X_{n}^{2}Z| + |\int X_{n}^{2}Z - \int YZ|[/tex]
[tex]\le |\int X||\int XZ - \int X_{n}Z| + |\int X_{n}||\int XZ - \int X_{n}Z| + |\int X_{n}^{2}Z - \int YZ|[/tex]
[tex]< L\frac{\epsilon}{3L} + M\frac{\epsilon}{3M} + \frac{\epsilon}{3} = \epsilon[/tex]
So, [tex]X^{2} = Y[/tex]
Q.E.D.