Does white vinegar really neutralize airborne odors and not just mask them?

• Thread starter joniverson
  • Start date
I had a small device (the Mosfet in a lamp dimmer to be technical) burn out recently, but when it did it smoked a bit. The smell was enough to be noticeable throughout the house, so I held my breath, opened the windows and placed a fan aiming out the door to best rid the odor. After an hour, most of the odor was no longer noticeable but a bit lingered. I read online that white vinegar, either a small amount placed near the area in question, or brought to almost a boil on the stove would not only get rid of the odor, but neutralize it. I did just that. Remaining odor didn't linger long, but I don't know if it was due to absorption/ deactivation by vinegar, or natural dissipation. So does white vinegar, when used this way, actually neutralize or just mask?

Answers and Replies

.Scott
Homework Helper
Dilute acetic acid can "neutralize" ammonia. So if the smell is urine, it could help.

I wouldn't expect dilute acetic acid would "neutralize" very much else.
But I do see claims on the www that either a sitting dish or a boiling it to a mist supposedly neutralizes odors.

I some cases, smells can linger for weeks by coating surfaces and then slowly releasing. In the case of tobacco smoke, this can be cleaned up with a fairly intense dose of ozone for about 60-minutes. There are devices that can be bought or rented for that purpose. When they are in use, the room(s) must be unoccupied - because the ozone can damage cells.

jim mcnamara
Mentor
There are also woodworking supplies for refinishing furniture. One problem is residual tobacco depositions.
Products like Nilodor are used. I do not know what is in it because labelling laws did not require it. It works well. I was told it had acetic acid in it, but I do not know for sure. The website is aimed at janitorial services products - did mention 'proprietary' ingredients.

These products are useful because cleaning water solutions on raw wood - think inside or bottom of a drawer - will cause the wood to swell and get fuzzy, possibly making the drawer unusable.

Last edited: