Dog Flu Spreads Worry Nationwide

• Thread starter Evo
  • Start date
In summary: Maybe the virus only affects a certain type of dog or breed or something.Thanks for this information. Lots of my friends have dogs, so I will pass this on to them.In summary, a newly discovered virus has killed dogs in at least seven states, and veterinarians, kennel operators and pet owners are concerned because there is no vaccine and dogs do not have immunity to the new flu. There is worry that the dog population on the North American continent is wholly susceptible and that the virus may mutate into a variant of influenza that affects other animals. However, the virus is sensitive to antiviral medicines, and if it does jump to humans it may be possible to contain it until a vaccine becomes available.
Evo
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
I thought I should bring this to everyone's attention.

Updated 10:51 AM ET September 27, 2005

A newly discovered virus has killed dogs in at least seven states, and veterinarians, kennel operators and pet owners are concerned because researchers say there is no vaccine and dogs do not have immunity to the new flu.

"The concern is that the dog population on the North American continent is wholly 100 percent susceptible," Crawford said.

http://abcnews.go.com/Health/story?id=1152491&page=1

Physics news on Phys.org
I wish the article said which states have already been affected. But to be on the safe side, my little social butterfly will stay at home.
Thanks for the info.

A New Deadly, Contagious Dog Flu Virus Is Detected in 7 States
By DONALD G. McNEIL Jr. and CARIN RUBENSTEIN (NY Times, Sep 22)

The virus, which scientists say mutated from an influenza strain that affects horses, has killed racing greyhounds in seven states and has been found in shelters and pet shops in many places, including the New York suburbs, though the extent of its spread is unknown.

The flu has killed greyhounds at tracks in Florida, Massachusetts, Arizona, West Virginia, Wisconsin, Texas and Iowa.

Better make sure your dogs wash their paws after sniffing each others' butts. :uhh: Or something like that.

Well, its obviously not very bad because they would say if it would soon be a world-wide epidemic and how some species of dogs will die out and everything.

Mk said:
Well, its obviously not very bad because they would say if it would soon be a world-wide epidemic and how some species of dogs will die out and everything.
How can you say it's not very bad? They just discovered it. It sounds extremely contagious, have you had a chance to read the article? I'm sure animals leaving the US will be under strict quarantine to prevent spread.

Last edited:
Thanks for this information. Lots of my friends have dogs, so I will pass this on to them.

Mk said:
The fact that the virus may have mutated from a virus normally found in horses is pretty serious. What if it were to mutate into a variant of influenza found in pigs (e.g. swine flu) or birds (e.g. avian flu).

Humans may not get 'horse' flu or 'dog' flu, but all it takes is for the virus to get to pigs or chickens/ducks/geese, and we might have a problem.

Sept. 26, 2005 -- Dog flu is spreading among U.S. pets, the CDC confirmed Monday.

The dog flu is almost identical to a horse flu that's been in the U.S. for a long time.

Humans don't get the virus from horses. And they probably won't get it from dogs, says Ruben Donis, DVM, PhD, chief of the molecular genetics section at the Influenza Branch of the CDC.

The dog flu is known medically as the H3N8 influenza virus.

"H3N8 has been in horses for over 40 years. In all these years we have never been able to document a single human infection," Donis says. "That is not to say there isn't any risk. We will monitor all possible human exposures, but at this point there is no reason to panic."

Donis says the dog flu bug is sensitive to antiviral medicines. That means that if the virus did somehow jump to humans -- as it did to dogs -- it might be possible to contain it until a vaccine became available.
from WebMD.

WebMD also indicates
Dog Flu Milder Than Early Reports Suggested

The respiratory disease now known to be dog flu broke out among greyhounds in January 2004. More than a third of the dogs known to be infected in that outbreak died. Now that researchers have looked at more animals, the death rate seems to be much lower.

University of Florida veterinarian Cynda Crawford, DVM, PhD, has been investigating the outbreaks.

"Nearly all dogs are susceptible to the virus, but 80% will have mild disease: cough and maybe nasal discharge that will resolve over time with appropriate treatment," Crawford says. "Only a small number of dogs get complications such as pneumonia. … In dogs where the cause of illness has been verified, this disease has a 5% to 8% death rate."
and now it apparently has been found in 10 states, perhaps 11 or 12 if confirmed in NJ and NY.
According to a report from Crawford, Donis, and colleagues in the current issue of the journal Science, dog flu outbreaks have occurred at racetracks in the following states: Florida, Texas, Arkansas, Arizona, West Virginia, Kansas, Iowa, Colorado, Rhode Island, and Massachusetts.

Evo said:
How can you say it's not very bad? They just discovered it. It sounds extremely contagious, have you had a chance to read the article? I'm sure animals leaving the US will be under strict quarantine to prevent spread.
I read an article from Reuters, it didn't sound very bad. :blushing: You make me feel bad!

Evo said:
I thought I should bring this to everyone's attention.

Updated 10:51 AM ET September 27, 2005

A newly discovered virus has killed dogs in at least seven states, and veterinarians, kennel operators and pet owners are concerned because researchers say there is no vaccine and dogs do not have immunity to the new flu.

"The concern is that the dog population on the North American continent is wholly 100 percent susceptible," Crawford said.

http://abcnews.go.com/Health/story?id=1152491&page=1
its so sad, huhu.:frown:

1. What is dog flu?

Dog flu, or canine influenza, is a highly contagious respiratory infection caused by the influenza viruses H3N8 and H3N2. It primarily affects dogs, but can also infect cats and other animals.

2. How does dog flu spread?

Dog flu is spread through direct contact with respiratory secretions from infected dogs, such as through coughing or sneezing. It can also be transmitted through contact with contaminated objects, such as food bowls or toys, or through contact with people who have been in contact with infected dogs.

3. What are the symptoms of dog flu?

The symptoms of dog flu are similar to those of human flu, including coughing, sneezing, runny nose, fever, and loss of appetite. In severe cases, dogs may also experience difficulty breathing and pneumonia. It is important to note that not all dogs infected with the virus will show symptoms, but they can still spread the infection to other dogs.

4. Can dog flu be treated?

There is no specific treatment for dog flu, but symptoms can be managed with supportive care, such as rest, hydration, and medications to relieve coughing and fever. In severe cases, hospitalization may be necessary. Vaccines are also available to help prevent the spread of dog flu.

5. How can I protect my dog from getting the flu?

The best way to protect your dog from getting the flu is to limit their contact with other dogs, especially in areas where outbreaks have been reported. You can also talk to your veterinarian about getting your dog vaccinated against the H3N8 and H3N2 viruses. It is also important to practice good hygiene, such as washing your hands after handling other dogs and disinfecting any objects they come into contact with. If your dog does show symptoms of the flu, keep them isolated from other dogs until they have fully recovered.

Back