Dog Swim Day at Seacrest Pool in Arvada

  • Thread starter Thread starter Math Is Hard
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
21 replies · 4K views
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Messages
4,663
Reaction score
37
Just something I found on someone's blog. It looked like a fun event.

http://skylersdad.blogspot.com/2009/08/we-interrupt-pacific-northwest-updates.html
Today was the day that they close the Seacrest pool in Arvada, just a few miles south of us. As is their tradition, on the last day all dogs are welcome. Just pay 5 bucks per dog and they get to run and play with all the other dogs in the pool!
100_2248.jpg



100_2245.jpg
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Who let the dogs out woof woof LOL
 
I immagine that's why it's on the last day. Looks like fun. Do dogs get to use the slides?
 
I would love to see the cat day with owners and cats in the pool :biggrin:
 
rootX said:
I would love to see the cat day with owners and cats in the pool :biggrin:

Lots of scratching and growling.
 
They do that somewhere in Portland each year. It does look like fun.

Back in the early eighties, I lived right across the street from a beach in San Diego - Dog Beach. It was open to dogs with no leashes required. Every now and then we would have a problem with some idiot and his aggressive pit bull, but 99% of the time it was lot of fun. My dog, Licker, and I, would go for a run and swim every day. [well, only Licker would swim if it was too cold]
 
flatmaster said:
I immagine that's why it's on the last day. Looks like fun. Do dogs get to use the slides?

I hadn't thought about the slides. Some of the dogs would probably like them.
 
Who else immediately thought of the movie Caddyshack when seeing the pictures? :-p
 
Ivan Seeking said:
Back in the early eighties, I lived right across the street from a beach in San Diego - Dog Beach. It was open to dogs with no leashes required. Every now and then we would have a problem with some idiot and his aggressive pit bull, but 99% of the time it was lot of fun. My dog, Licker, and I, would go for a run and swim every day. [well, only Licker would swim if it was too cold]

When I was a kid, we had some neighbors who had a dachsund that would fetch things they threw in the lake -- it didn't matter if the things floated or sank, he would dive for them if he had to. I never got tired of seeing that.
 
berkeman said:
Who else immediately thought of the movie Caddyshack when seeing the pictures? :-p

I'm going on the assumption (er, well, hope, actually) that those are very well trained dogs!

A pool full of toddlers is probably more high-risk for a Caddyshack incident.
 
Math Is Hard said:
I'm going on the assumption (er, well, hope, actually) that those are very well trained dogs!

A pool full of toddlers is probably more high-risk for a Caddyshack incident.

I didn't mean *that* part of the scene. Sheesh. I just meant the mayhem and water ballet parts o:)
 
berkeman said:
I didn't mean *that* part of the scene. Sheesh. I just meant the mayhem and water ballet parts o:)

:smile: Oh, my bad.
 
My friend Max is a pit-bull German shepherd mix. He is a very smart, engaging dog, but for some reason he won't go swimming or even wade in chest-deep water. When we invite our neighbors to come to the family camp for a swim and a cookout, Max is always welcome, but even if everybody is in the water, he won't come in. He finds a shady spot to relax and watches the action, though. He might get in paw deep and take a drink, but that's it.
 
turbo-1 said:
My friend Max is a pit-bull German shepherd mix. He is a very smart, engaging dog, but for some reason he won't go swimming or even wade in chest-deep water. When we invite our neighbors to come to the family camp for a swim and a cookout, Max is always welcome, but even if everybody is in the water, he won't come in. He finds a shady spot to relax and watches the action, though. He might get in paw deep and take a drink, but that's it.

Just give him a toss.
 
flatmaster said:
Just give him a toss.
I can't do that to him! When I walk over to their place, he starts running around barking, looking for one of his toys and then leans against me looking up at me and making little whining noises so I will throw it for him. He sticks to me like glue. If I pushed him off the dock, I'd feel like a creep.
 
The local outdoor pool was scheduled to have one of these but too many uptight morons got their undies in a wad and they yanked it. They were going to drain the pool anyways...
 
Next time we go to camp, I'll steal a few of Max's favorite toys and take them out into the lake with me. He might come into the water to get them, and end up enjoying the dip.

I think the problem is that he has always HATED baths. His skin is sensitive to mites, ticks, etc, and he gets bathed in medicated shampoo periodically to help fight the inflammation. After the bath, he gets tied up for a while so he can dry off without getting everybody around him wet. That's pretty much the only time he is ever restrained. He responds to voice commands well, and is very wary of roads and vehicles, so he is never leashed or tied up under normal conditions.
 
Math Is Hard said:
When I was a kid, we had some neighbors who had a dachsund that would fetch things they threw in the lake -- it didn't matter if the things floated or sank, he would dive for them if he had to. I never got tired of seeing that.

You can teach some dogs to dive underwater. There was one guy in SD that could throw a rock into water up to ten-feet deep. That dog would always come up with that rock. The guy would even win bets from people and allow them to pick and throw the rock.

When I was a senior in high school, in Northern Cal, we had a favorite swimming hole, quite beautiful really, that had a number of natural diving spots. Eventually my buddy's dog started immitating us and diving in with us. I'm not sure of the height, but I would bet he dove from at least twenty feet at times. That is the only time I have ever seen a dog dive like that. Once he got the hang of it, he loved it and started diving without us!
 
In HS, my friend's dog Tut (a really massive Lab) loved diving for rocks. The bottom dropped off so quickly in front of their camp that he'd easily be searching for rocks in 10-15 feet of cold water, but he loved it. If you threw a rock out too far and he couldn't find it, you'd have to call him into shore and praise him and schmooze him a bit to make him forget that rock so you could throw another one. Dogs don't have wonderful near-vision, so I don't know how he did it, except maybe he could actually smell under water...? It's a mystery. He was really good at it though.

Tut was really effective at herding kids, too. If he didn't want a kid getting near the water or some other perceived danger, he'd nuzzle them and deliver tiny "love-bites" to the sensitive skin just over the hips. He wasn't being mean, just protective.
 
I lived in Venice, Florida a few years ago. We had a stretch of beach reserved for Dogs (and their owners, if they were well behaved). I miss it.

Skippy
 
That looks like fun.

Zoie, my Australian Shepherd mix wouldn't like that sort of thing. She likes playing in real shallow creeks, but she doesn't even like getting splashed. :smile:

I'm babysitting my sister's Golden Retriever for a year or two and she's a little braver about the water. Even she won't go into water over her head - or maybe the water in mountain reservoirs is a little too cold. (I wound up having to fetch the stupid tennis ball myself. And, yes, the water was colder than hell.)